Chapter 5.

I think I was both nervous and scared about working that I couldn't sleep. I sat on my windowsill gazing into the sky holding the bright stars trying their best to beat the darkness that enveloped our town. I sat there thinking about nothing and everything until the wee hours of dawn. I wanted to go for a run but when I  remembered that Peter could be out there, I changed my mind and sat back until the sun started to rise.

If I was correct it wouldn't be more than about 6 o'clock so I prepared myself for work. I made breakfast for mom and left a note that I was going to work for her. I walked on the usual street lanes to the restaurant; Where I stopped and groaned with a mental face palm, now thinking about it, I didn't ask or look for the name of the restaurant.

I arrived at my destination after searching for it for hours and entered, greeted by the beautiful and not so expensive interior of the restaurant. I prayed that I wouldn't get fired on my first day at my first job. I saw Gideon beside a girl on the counter probably giving her instructions. Gideon noticed me and smiled, I waved back in reply and went to search for where the employee lockers were.

Thank God, I had mentally sighed in relief, that probably meant I'm not fired. I sighed and looked around, my eye settling on a door that must have been a locker room.

I saw a guy in a chef's uniform with his name, Jeff Barron, written boldly in green letters on the upper left side of the uniform on his chest. And I thought since he was already in his uniform, he might be able to help me out as I didn't know where I was going and didn't want to interrupt Gideon and I was also too tired and lazy to search. I approached him and asked.

"Um, hi" I greeted

"Hey, how may I help you?" He responded

"Um.., I am looking for where the employee lockers are" I asked a little embarrassed

"Oh just enter the kitchen and walk straight, you'll find a green door to your right; that's it"

"OK,  thanks. I am Joel by the way" I don't know why but I felt like introducing myself, talk about social awkwardness and I'll take the best trophy.

"Jeff and welcome to the J family, I guess I'll see you around"

With that he left without waiting for my thanks. Anyways that was easy so I went to change into my uniform. After I was done, I came out to look for Gideon for further instructions. I found him still by the girl behind the counter.

"Good morning" I greeted.

" Good morning Joel" Gideon greeted back but the girl just nodded and left " here for your job info right?"he asked.

"Yeah Gideon" I replied.

" Well, for now you'll be helping the head chef and occasionally be serving. So move on into kitchen and start work, the place is about to open soon." he said

"Ok, thank you" I replied scurrying towards the kitchen.

I went into the kitchen and saw a tall man man who looked to be in his early forties and also looked Indian standing in the middle of the kitchen glancing around with a smile that displayed his perfectly sculpted pearly white teeth. He clapped his hands and sighed in satisfaction probably liking the view. He looked at my direction and smiled nodding his head in the process. I nodded back and smiled.

"Now, can I have your attention please?" He questioned out in a rich Indian accent.

Those present including me moved closer to him. I counted and we were about seven excluding the Indian man.

"I am Prem, your head chef and I will in charge of all affairs related to the kitchen in this restaurant" he introduced himself and paused for a moment for  the knowledge to sink in.