Chapter 19.

We were just sitting there with Felix now asleep and me just scrolling through my Twitter account for some juicy news. I had wanted to wake Felix up when the time on my phone read 10 pm but he seemed tired and the efforts he had made today called for a relaxing time so I let him be.

Sleep wasn't coming to me, nope not at all. It used to happen when dad left for the first time with that assistant of his, I remember clearly like it was just a few minutes ago when I was just seven.

Mom had come to pick me up from school as she always did but when we sat in the car, I knew something was amiss. Mom was asking questions about school like she always does and she was just staring into the road like something of hers had been placed there.

"Mom, are you okay?" I asked in my tiny voice and broke the silence after some few minutes had passed and the silence was getting uncomfortable.

She turned to me with glassy eyes and a sloppy smile "Yeah I'm fine".

"You sure?" I prodded.

"Absolutely" she sniffed and nodded her head.

We arrived home and met an eerily silent house. Normally the house will be booming with music as it was Tye's habitual thing to blast our ears off in the house when he was just twelve years old and he had a whole lot of friends that I think a twelve-year-old wasn't supposed to have. 

We entered and saw pieces of wood and glass scattered on the floor of the living room. I looked up to mom for an explanation but she just shook her head. We tiptoed around the shattered glass and woods to my room. I noticed that Tye's room was empty and his door which is always opened wide for all and sundry was closed. I didn't question but followed mom into my room where she sat on my bed and buried her face into her palms and her shoulders slumped.

I let her be and stripped myself of my school clothing and my shoe and stepped into the bathroom for a quick shower. I came out from the bathroom and mom was still there in the same position she was earlier. I dried myself well and changed into some clothes and gently shook her shoulder. She looked up at me with a sad smile and before I could say ah the door opened revealing the face of my dad.

"Dad" I jumped in excitement.

Dad didn't respond but stood there with a slight frown. I went towards them with open arms to hug him but he held his hand up to stop me.

"Finally you're home" dad sneered.

Weird, dad had never done this at least not in front of us. I turned to mom but saw that her face was still in her palms so I turned back to dad.

"Dad, what's wrong?" I asked

"Oh what's wrong, why don't you ask the one who was supposed to be my wife and cheated on me?" He spat angrily and stormed out of the room.