Meeting the Potters

It was a few days into the summer holidays. James had talked about his friends non stop, especially about Sirius. When James was in bed Fleamont and Euphemia Potter discussed their son's friendship with Sirius. "He's hanging around that Black an awful lot." Fleamont said. "I wonder why he ended up in Gryffindor?" Euphemia said. Just then there was a flash of green fire and a young boy clambered out of the fireplace. "Who are you?" Mr. Potter asked, confused but polite. "I'm Sirius Black sir. It's nice to meet you sir. I'm sorry to barge in like this but I really need James." Sirius said. Mrs. Potter noticed he had tears all down his face and a big bruise on the side of his face. She pulled him into the kitchen and made him some hot chocolate.

Sirius sat down at the table and slowly calmed down. He told Mr. and Mrs. Potter everything, about how his parents hated him for being a Gryffindor, about how James had helped him, about how he'd found friends and learnt what it meant to have a family you loved. After an hour when he started to tell them about how his father had hurt him for putting a Gryffindor banner up in his room with a permanent sticking charm Sirius started to cry again. The noise woke James and he came rushing downstairs. When he saw his best friend he hugged him tightly and sat down with him until Sirius' breathing calmed again. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were amazed at how the two boys connected and knew each other so well.

"James, go back to bed, you can see Sirius later. It's one in the morning." Mrs. Potter said and Mr. Potter followed James upstairs, after saying goodnight to Sirius. Mrs. Potter conjured blankets and a pillow from nowhere and made a comfortable bed for the young visitor on the couch. As she was saying goodnight Sirius hugged her. She smiled and patted the boy on the back as he climbed onto the couch. When the sun rose Mr. and Mrs. Potter came downstairs to find James lying beside Sirius, the two of them looking like brothers.