The Halloween of 81

"James we can't, you know you can't." Lily said over breakfast. It was the 31st of October, Halloween. "I do know, if only I had my Invisibility Cloak, at least then Harry would be able to feel the atmosphere of Halloween." James replied grumpily. "He's barely a year old, and Dumbledore obviously needed your Cloak for a reason." Lily said, taking James' hand. "I love you." James replied. "I love you too." Lily replied, kissing him.

The day seemed to pass slowly. Harry tried out his broomstick again and James forgot about Halloween as he chased Harry around. Lily laughed and before long she joined in. 

They all made dinner in the kitchen, Harry in his highchair, James doing most of it and telling Lily exactly what to do. She told him off for being bossy and kissed him, both of them laughing. 

Then they sat down for dinner, Harry eating mushed up food but barely eating it anyway, just throwing it around.

Then Lily cleaned up and James took Harry into the sitting room and read him a book about the Marauders that Remus had written for Harry. Harry mumbled along with his dad, trying to talk. James finished the book, closed it with a snap and tossed it aside. "Who your favourite Marauder?" James asked in a baby voice, picking Harry up. "It is daddy?" he asked. "Pongsie." Harry blabbered. James cheered and turned to around to tell Lily but he nearly bumped into her as she was right behind him. "Did you hear that Lily?" James asked excitedly. She laughed. "He's the most handsome isn't he Harry?" Lily said. "Well, except for Sirius." Lily added as an afterthought. James jaw dropped and he pretended to be offended. They both laughed and sat down on the couch. 

James pulled his wand out of pocket and caused colourful smoke and bubbles to float through the air. Harry giggled and tried to catch them. Lily looked lovingly at her two boys. James watched his son smiling happily then turned to his wife, kissing her. They almost forgot Harry was there for a moment, Lily pushed James away. "Later." she whispered. James grinned and continued entertaining his son with the smoke and bubbles. 

"C'mon Harry, bedtime." Lily said, picking Harry up and taking him upstairs. James dropped his wand down onto the couch, got up, stretched and yawned. He saw something move outside, but thought it was just a child trick or treating. 

Then the door creaked open. Without a second thought, not even for his wand, James sprinted into the hall. A cloaked man stood on the doorstep. He shut the door behind him and James called out to Lily. "Lily, go, run, it's him, I'll hold him off, take Harry and go!" he yelled. Voldemort laughed and James raised his fists, shaking with fury. And then it hit him - Peter. He felt sick and clenched his fists tighter, he couldn't believe his brother could do that. He was about to shout 'I love you' to his family upstairs but with a flash of green light everything ended.

Lily heard the body drop downstairs. She let out a cry, mixed with a sob. She pushed as many objects against the door as she could but she knew it was useless. Her wand was downstairs in the kitchen. She was crying, listening to footsteps climbing the stairs. She kissed Harry. "Dada loves you, mama loves you. Harry be safe, be strong." she whispered. The door burst open, she screamed. She pleaded, her arms thrown out in front of her son but with a second flash of green light she fell to the floor. 

Voldemort turned to the baby in the cot. He raised his wand again and - pain. Voldemort fled, weak, half dead, from the house that used to be a home.