The First Child

It was a few weeks after the wedding, everyone was around at James and Lily's. Remus, Lily and Peter were all drinking tea whereas James and Sirius had bottles of butterbeer with a few shots of firewhisky poured in. James and Sirius were cracking jokes and being dicks in the corner of the room. Lily, Remus and Peter were chatting on the couch. The sky outside got darker and darker without them noticing until the mantelpiece clock chimed one in the morning. "Oh, I didn't realise it was so late." Lily said, setting her teacup down. "Why don't you stay the night?" Lily asked. "Thanks a lot Lily, really." Remus said, he hugged her goodnight, put an arm around Peter's shoulders and turned to find James and Sirius laughing uncontrollably, Sirius clutching a bottle of firewhisky. "I'll sort them out, don't worry." Lily said with a laugh. "Put him on the couch, he kicks me out of the bed when he's drunk." Remus said. Lily agreed and she watched Remus and Peter climb the stairs.

Lily pulled a few blankets out of a cupboard for Sirius and he flopped down onto the couch. She sighed, but smiled as she threw the blankets over him, took the firewhisky from him and kissed his forehead goodnight. She then took James' hand and helped him drunkenly climb the stairs. Lily laid him down in bed, brushed his messy hair out of his face and snuggled down beside him. "I love you Lily." James mumbled. "I love you too Prongs." she said, kissing his cheek.

The next morning Lily left James in bed and went downstairs to make breakfast, the one meal she could successfully cook. However in the kitchen she heard sizzling, laughing and could smell something delicious. "Morning Lily." Remus said, passing Lily a cup of coffee. Remus sat at the bench, chopping fruit. "Morning." Lily said, watching Peter flip a pancake. "You guys this all looks delicious." Lily said, there were dishes of bacon, fried eggs and toast. A stack of pancakes were waiting beside a bowl of fruit salad and a jug of coffee. "I know. Here Peter, take that to the table." Remus said, passing Peter a tray laden with juice and tea.

During breakfast an owl arrived from Alice and Frank, inviting everyone around for lunch. James, Lily, Peter, Remus and Sirius went around to Alice and Frank's place, where they met Marlene, Alice and Frank. "Alice, what's going on?" Lily asked. Alice smiled, took hold of Frank's hand and they said at the same time "We're having a baby!" happily. Lily and Marlene squealed and hugged Alice. James shook Franks hand enthusiastically, congratulating him, along with Sirius and Peter. Remus joined the group hug with the three girls then shook Frank's hand. Everyone talked for a while and then everyone went back home for dinner.

"I can't believe they're having a baby." Lily said. "I hope that'll be us." James replied. They were lying in bed, late at night in the darkness. "I hope so too." Lily replied.