Back Together

Sirius travelled, running along as a dog, panting with his tongue out. Within a few hours he arrived at Remus' house, the house they once shared. He stood up on his back legs and pressed the bell with his paw. Remus opened the door and grinned down at the dog, stepping aside to let him in. Once Remus had closed the door Sirius transformed and threw himself at Remus. Remus laughed, clapping Sirius on the back and hugging him tightly, then Sirius pulled Remus closer and kissed him, the first kiss in nearly fifteen years.

Although they were meeting under such serious conditions, they had a few hours that night by themselves, just talking. They talked about James mostly, the way he would always put on too much aftershave and got too many stupid tattoos (although not as much as Sirius) and spent long nights watching Lily's dot on the Marauders Map in her dormitory. Then they discussed Harry. Remus told Sirius just how similar they were, how he sat with his arms laid down on his desk during class, how he swore at every tiny thing that injured him, how he was secretly afraid of ducks, just like his father. Remus knew this because when he and Harry had walked in the grounds, discussing Dementors, they approached the lake and a duck came near. Remus saw Harry clench his jaw and dig his hands into his pockets, averting his eyes from the bird.

They waited for the Order of the Phoenix to arrive, they drank tea and laughed, they didn't mention Peter or Azkaban, they just enjoyed being back together. Halfway through the night Dumbledore arrived, followed by a whole gang of other people. They crowded Remus' tiny kitchen while Dumbledore gave them orders and Sirius slipped his hand under the table to hold Remus'.

Early that morning, just before sunrise, everyone left. Remus and Sirius climbed up the stairs and into Remus' bedroom. The house was very small and rundown but the bed was the same bed they slept in together before everything. They snuggled down and fell asleep together, just managing to forget everything else that was going on.

In the morning Sirius spent over an hour untangling his hair with Remus' wand. He had a luxurious hot shower and then walked around the house with only a towel around his waist, much to Remus' enjoyment. That afternoon they apparated to a Muggle street called Grimmauld Place and watched number 12 magically appear. Sirius took a deep breath before he opened the door and Remus held his hand tightly.