Who Do You Trust?

It was late one night, Harry was in bed and James and Lily sat tired and sleepy on the couch. Dumbledore knocked on the door and James hurried to answer it. "What's happened?" Lily asked, arriving at James' shoulder. "You're in danger, Voldemort wants Harry, and when Voldemort wants something he does all he can to get it." Dumbledore said. Lily clapped her hands to her mouth. "What the hell can we do? We've got to keep Harry safe, he's not going to Voldemort." James said in a scared voice. "There's just one way to keep him out. The Fidelius Charm. You must place your trust in someone, the Secret Keeper. Only people who are told the address by the Secret Keeper, completely willingly, can find this house. I recommend acting immediately. I can be your Secret Keeper, I fear there's someone in the Order acting as spy." Dumbledore said. "No." James replied. "No, it's going to be Sirius." he said. He sent a Patronus soaring out of the window. "Are you quite sure?" Dumbledore asked. "I would trust Sirius with my life, and the lives of my family." James said defensively. Dumbledore nodded. "I'll wait until he arrives." Dumbledore said and Lily went to make tea.

Five minutes later Sirius and Remus apparated into the living room. James jumped up from the couch, followed by Dumbledore and Lily. Dumbledore explained and then the charm was performed. Then Dumbledore left, followed by Sirius and Remus.

In Sirius' house Remus and Sirius climbed the stairs to bed. They lay down and put their arms around each other, terrified. "It's not going to stop for a long time." Sirius said into the dark bedroom. "No, it's not. I'll be surprised if we all make it through." Remus replied, holding Sirius a little tighter. "Do you think we should live separately, until all this Secret Keeper business finishes?" Remus added. Sirius looked at Remus. "What do you mean? Don't you want me anymore?" Sirius asked, slightly heartbroken. "No, it's the last thing I want to do, I love you. But it might be for the best, for safety." Remus said, twisting his fingers around Sirius'. "Just as long as you stay tonight." Sirius whispered into the night. He felt lips on his own and hoped with his heart that they could kiss without the threat of Voldemort sometime in the future.

Remus and Sirius woke up late, the sun was high in the sky as they lay together, tangled in the comfortably warm sheets. "Where will you go?" Sirius asked. "My family's holiday home, it should last while necessary." Remus replied. "Promise to me that you'll come back and live here again sometime." Sirius begged. "Promise me that I'll always be welcome." Remus replied. "I love you Remus, and I'll never stop loving you." Sirius said with a kiss.

Later that day, late at night Sirius climbed the stairs and entered his bedroom. It didn't feel right. The curtains weren't drawn, Remus always did that. Sirius sighed, felt a tear leak from his eye and pulled the curtains closed. He fell into bed, the blankets were cold without Remus' scarred body holding him close. He worried that Remus had left forever, that he didn't love him, that he had switched sides. The fear fell asleep with him, to be replaced by dreams of hiding in broom cupboards, the night of James and Lily's wedding after they had gone back home, the day Harry pushed their faces together to make them kiss, and the dream changed into a nightmare of Remus walking away down the street, through the icy rain.

In a lonely cottage Remus cleaned the kitchen, his family hadn't been there for a while. Remus couldn't sleep, he needed Sirius' snoring to help him drift off. He scrubbed the kitchen table, tears falling freely, thinking that his best friend, his boyfriend, his true love, was plotting to murder his second family.