The Holiday

They pulled up beside a lake around half past three. James woke Sirius up and they all left the caravan to explore. A small fresh water stream trickled down and joined the lake. The lake water was cool and refreshing on their feet. 

James and Remus had planned fireworks for later in the night but before that they all ran down to the water and dived in. They spent an hour in the lake, splashing each other, diving underwater and grabbing each other's ankles, chasing each other around in the shallows, a bit of kissing and finally they lay down to sunbath around five o'clock.

After that they all got to work cooking dinner. Or at least James, Peter and Sirius did. Remus and Lily weren't the best chefs and instead they got everyone iced pumpkin juice and set up a little picnic table. 

After dinner they ran back into the water for a while as the sun set around them. Then they went back and laid down on the grass beside their caravan, looking up at the sky as James set off the fireworks. 

Around ten o'clock that night after they'd made a campfire and James had played guitar around it and they'd all sang songs, it was time for bed. They went back into the caravan and flipped the table so it became a bed. Peter claimed the couch and laid a sleeping bag down on it. Above the driver and passenger seats was a small and comfortable double bed, which was taken by Remus and Sirius. 

Everyone lay down in bed, listening to Sirius' light snores, he was always the first to fall asleep. Then it was Peter's snores that added to the mix, then Lily's deep, slow breathing, James drifted off next and Remus lay awake, looking down at Sirius in his arms, hardly daring to believe how incredibly lucky he was, despite everything.

They spent the rest of the week like this, swimming in the lake, playing guitar and board games, going walking through the nearby forest and just being normal eighteen year olds. Staying up late and drinking Firewhisky was normal for them, lying under the stars and watching Remus chase Sirius into the lake for eating the chocolate he was saving. This was the life.