Back At School All Over Again

Remus stirred in his sleep, he could hear scared voices around him. Mixed with a horrible rattling sound and a dreadful feeling. Without a second though Remus plunged his hand into his robes and drew his wand, spun around and thought 'Expecto Patronum' and pictured him hugging Peter, James and Sirius, all worry forgotten. The dementor hurried away and Remus dropped his wand. There was a red headed boy beside him, clutching a shaking, smaller, red headed girl close. Beside them was a girl with bushy brown hair and on Remus' other side was a plump boy who looked terrified. And there on the floor by Remus' feet was Harry. Remus swallowed. He was the spitting image of James, even more so than when he was eight. Remus tucked his wand away and turned to the boy and girl with red hair. "Is everyone alright?" he asked, kindly smiling at the young girl.

The red headed boy nodded and slowly slid off his seat to crouch beside Harry. He tapped him hard on the face until Harry stirred. Remus explained what the dementor was and noticed just how sick, shaken and terrified they looked. He reached for his pocket, the chocolate he had for the full moon the night before was there. He pulled it out and handed it around. As he passed Harry a piece Harry's fingers touched his. Remus' mind flooded with James, it was too much to take. Inventing wildly he told them he was going to talk to the driver and left the compartment.

Remus hurried down the corridor and into the bathroom. He locked the door and sunk to the floor, his face in his hands. His breathing was shaky, he hadn't probably looked at Harry since he was a baby, didn't expect him to look as identical as Prongs. Remus had expected to see Harry, to talk to him about his father, so he didn't quite understand why he was so shaken.

Remus pulled out some parchment, he had to resort to the only person except Harry he had left who he loved, the person he looked after him like a mother, who had done since he was eleven years old.

Dear Minnie.

Fuck. I just saw Harry. The dementors came aboard the train and Harry fainted. All the other kids in the compartment are fine, though obviously shaken. I know you said he looked like James but it hit me so hard, It was like stepping back to when I was thirteen and James was asking Lily out every week. Shit, I don't know how I'm going to cope. Can I come and see you after the feast tonight? The full moon finished last night, so I was catching up on sleep in the train compartment, until the dementor came in.

See you soon,

Yours,

Remus

Remus re-entered the compartment a few minutes later. "I haven't poisoned that chocolate you know." he told the children with a slight laugh. They all took a bite and Remus smiled as he sat back down. "I'm Ron Weasley, nice to meet you sir. And this is my little sister, Ginny." Ron said. "Nice to meet you both." Remus said. "I'm Hermione Granger." Hermione said. Remus smiled and nodded in her direction. "I'm - well, I'm me." Harry said. Remus laughed slightly. "Yes Harry, I know. And who is this quiet gentleman?" Remus asked, turning to Neville. "I'm Neville Longbottom." Neville replied. "Ah, I was at school with your parents." Remus said. Neville simply terrified at this news, but Remus said "You remind me of them." and turned to look out of the window, smiling.

After the Sorting Ceremony Remus knocked softly on McGonagall's office door and stepped inside. She smiled at him and raised a teapot. "Tea?" she asked. Remus nodded and sat down. McGonagall passed him a mug that he accepted with a thank you. He sat there for a while, staring into space and sipping his tea, waiting for McGonagall to speak.

"You'll get used to it." she said. Remus looked up. "Harry I mean, the shock fades after a while and you're left with Harry, instead of James." she continued. "God I hope so." Remus replied. Just then there came a knock on the door. "Come in." McGonagall asked. Neville entered, in his pyjamas and his fluffy slippers. "Um, Professor McGonagall, I, I just wanted to say that I hope you had a good summer and that I'm glad to be back." Neville said. McGonagall smiled warmly. "Thank you very much Neville. I hope you enjoyed your summer and I'm very glad you're back." McGonagall replied. Neville smiled. "Goodnight Professor." Neville said and he was about to leave when Remus said "Wait a minute Neville. I'll walk with you." and placed his mug on the desk, bade McGonagall goodnight and left with Neville.

"So Neville, what's your favourite subject?" Remus asked. "Herbology, I really want to teach it, I've got top marks in all my exams." Neville said. "Well done, I can see you're very determined. And, what about your least favourite?" Remus said smiling. Neville looked down at the floor. "I don't like Potions, I really do think I'd be good at it, but Professor Snape hates me, he always makes fun of me in front of everyone." Neville muttered, "I was at school with Severus Snape. I wouldn't expect anything less of him. What a dick." Remus replied. Neville looked up, amazed. Remus sat down on a windowsill and gestured for Neville to sit beside him. Remus pulled some more chocolate out of his pocket and handed it to Neville. "You may not think so Neville, but you're very much like your parents." Neville looked up doubtfully. "Your mother was unbelievably kind, I mean who else do you think tells Professor McGonagall that after the summer? Who cares enough to do that?" Remus said. Neville smiled. "And you're father? Well, Frank Longbottom was daringly brave, you might not see it in yourself, others might not see it, but I do." Remus told him. At this Neville looked extremely doubtful. "You've just told me, someone you met mere hours ago, that you think the reason you don't succeed in Potions is because Severus, or as I like to call him, Snivellus Snape, makes you feel like a worthless pile of shit, and you've lived with that for three years, but you're still fighting. Add your poor parents' conditions into the mix and you might well be one of the bravest men I know. You smile, you laugh and you're caring." Remus said. Neville nodded then hugged Remus tightly. Remus clapped him on the back, pulled him to his feet, threw an arm around his shoulders and walked him back to Gryffindor Tower.

It was the middle of the afternoon, around four thirty. Remus was drinking tea and marking essays in the empty staffroom. Snape entered and sneered over at Remus, before sitting down in an armchair and opening a copy of the Prophet. Remus glanced over at him, then carried on reading Seamus Finnagans essay on Hinkypunks. "So, how are your classes going?' Snape asked. "Fine. How about yours?" Remus replied, trying for polite conversation but speaking with his fist clenched tightly around his quill. "Oh, alright I suppose, but I must say Potter's not doing very well, much too preoccupied trying to sneak into Hogsmeade. No doubt where he gets that." Snape replied icily. Remus dropped the essay and stood up, Snape did the same, turning around to face him. "Watch your mouth Snivellus." Remus said darkly. Snape drew his wand, Remus mirrored him, but before they could do anything a shield popped up between them. Remus spun around. McGonagall had her wand out. "Honestly, ten points from Gryffindor and ten from Slytherin." McGonagall said, smiling slightly. Remus and Snape continued to glare at each other, then Remus dropped his wand, gathered the pile of essays and left.