Just Friends

"Why am I doing this? What if she says no? What if she doesn't want to? How do I do this?" James was pacing the empty common room. Everyone was in bed except him, Sirius, Remus and Peter. "C'mon Prongs, you got this. Even if she doesn't admit to it, she likes you, even just as friends." Sirius said. James ran his fingers through his hair and continued pacing. "Don't worry about it James, Padfoot's right." Remus said. "Wait, who the hell said that?" he added suddenly. "You did." Peter replied. "Oh god, I just admitted to Sirius being right." Remus said. "Shut up Moony." Sirius said with a bark-like laugh. "James just speak from your heart, ask if she wants to go into Hogsmeade with you this weekend, if she says yes then cool, but if she says no then just say 'ok, yeah, fine, that's cool.', and just leave." Sirius said. "But she will say yes." Remus added. "Ok, I'll ask her tomorrow, let's go to bed."

The next morning James thought he should probably try to tidy up his hair but after five minutes of brushing, with no visible difference, he gave it up as a bad job. Sirius clapped him on the shoulder, and pulled him out of the dormitory. James felt like his insides were snakes, his legs were almost shaking and yet he was determined. "Just play it cool. It's not even a date." Sirius said into James' ear, the other three sat down at the Gryffindor table but James continued along, feeling strangely alone without Sirius by his side. Halfway down the table Lily was sitting with her friends Marlene, Mary and Alice. "Uh, Evans? Can I have a word?" James asked. "Sure." Lily replied, dropping her fork and picking up her bag. "I'll see you in Charms." she added to her friends and they walked together back down the table,"What's up Potter?" she asked. "I was wondering if you'd want to go with me to Hogsmeade tomorrow? I mean just as friends, you've made it perfectly clear that all you want to be." James asked, crossing his fingers in his pocket. "Finally got the message eh? Sure, meet you here tomorrow morning then. But make sure you know Potter, we're going as friends." Lily replied, she picked up a muffin from the bowl beside Remus then walked off. James waited until she'd left the hall then his face cracked into a massive grin and Sirius pulled him down to sit beside him. "Nice one Prongs!" he said, stuffing a banana into James' hand. "Come on mate we've got Charms." Remus said and he got up. Sirius picked up James' bag as well as his and put both on his back. "Don't get used to it." he said with a grin.

The next morning James dressed extremely carefully. Once again he tried to fix his hair but Sirius said "That isn't going to work mate, anyway what'd you want from Zonko's." and James simply pulled on his cloak and ordered Sirius to buy him some more Stink Bombs. Down in the Great Hall James sat nervously waiting for Lily to get there. He barely touched his breakfast, no matter how much food Remus piled onto his plate. "Turn around." Peter said after a few minutes of Sirius arguing with Remus about homework. James turned around and there Lily stood, looking more beautiful than ever. "Alright Evans?" he asked. James got up and picked up his bag.

They walked out of the Great Hall, at the door James turned around and Remus, Sirius and Peter were all cheering and hugging excitedly amongst themselves. James grinned. He and Lily passed Filch and walked out into the sunlight. Trying to break the awkward silence James asked "Where do you want to go?" "Why don't we go up to the Shrieking Shack?" Lily replied and all the memories of a werewolf, a stag, a dog the size of a wolf and a rat flashed before James' eyes. "Sounds good." he replied and they walked up the hill towards the fence that kept the Shrieking Shack locked up. After a few minutes they started to get cold, and James suggested a butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks. Lily went off to find a table and James bought two bottles of frothing butterbeers. He spotted Sirius, Remus and Peter on the other side of the room. They winked at him and he grinned back.

"Blimey, they don't go anywhere without you do they?" Lily asked as James slid into the booth beside her and passed her a butterbeer. "Course not." James replied with a grin. Lily laughed. "You're kind of cute you know, with your Marauders." Lily said. "Why thank you." James replied, ruffling up his hair. "But you're still an arrogant little toerag Potter." she added. "I never thought I would like someone calling me a toerag but with you, the criticism never hits me." James replied. Lily laughed again, and James laughed as well. "Well sorry to break up the romantic moment." Sirius said, sliding on the table on his butt. "What'd you want Padfoot?" James asked, slightly annoyed but still grinning. "Just wanted to check what kind of Dungbombs you wanted." Sirius replied. "The ones that don't make the Map or the Cloak smell, now would you piss off?" James replied. "Fine." Sirius said, rolling his eyes and meeting Remus and Peter at the door. "This kinda feels like a date." James said. "It's not." said Lily firmly. James raised his arms into the air in innocence and laughed.