A Conversation With Her Father

"Alright, this place is amazing." Lily said twirling around in the living room. James grinned, leaning casually on the door frame. "I've always wanted to live in Godric's Hollow." James said. "I can see why, it's beautiful." Lily said, peeking out of the curtains. "Oh and by the way, my parents invited us over for dinner tomorrow." Lily said, turning back to face James. "Don't worry, Petunia's moved out." she said. James chuckled.

The next day they arrived at Lily's childhood home. James shook her father's hand and hugged her mother. They went into the living room and had tea. "What's this?" James asked, pointing. "That's just a guitar son." Mr. Evans said. "Dad, they don't have guitars in the wizarding world." Lily said. "Oh right." Mr. Evans said, reaching for the guitar. He played a quick tune and handed it to James. "Try it out." he said. James cleared his throat and Lily helped him put his fingers into a G chord. James strummed and Lily helped him change to a D. A few minutes later James was rocking out. "That's wicked." he said, placing it back where it was. "You're pretty good, to say you've never seen the thing before." Mr. Evans said. "Thanks." James said.

After dinner everyone made to leave the dining room and go back to the living room. James rose from his chair but Mr. Evans pushed him back down. "Give us a minute love." he said to his wife. Mrs. Evans smiled and followed Lily into the next room. James was very scared. He wondered what was coming. "Son, I just want to thank you for making my daughter so happy." he said. James cracked a smile. "I thought you were going to jinx me into a jelly." James said with a laugh. Mr. Evans raised an eyebrow at him. "Oh right, you can't do magic, sorry." James said awkwardly. Mr. Evans laughed. "I believe you love Lily. Do you?" he said. "Yes, yes I do sir. I intend to love her forever, I don't know if you've heard about this but I've kind of been asking her out since I was fourteen." James said with a laugh. "Ah, well, you've been strong then, waiting three years before you got her. That proves something that does James." Mr. Evans said. "Thank you, thanks." James replied. "You know I chased Lily's mother for a while before she agreed." Mr. Evans said. "Really? It's hard isn't it?" James said with a laugh. "Can't disagree with you there, but you know, if you ever wanted to marry her or anything, I couldn't think of a better man." Mr. Evans said. "Thanks, maybe not just yet, but someday I can see it happening." James replied. "That's it, got your priorities straight, don't rush into anything." Mr. Evans said, clapping James' on the shoulder.

He and James entered the living room again, Lily looked slightly nervous. James grinned and sat down on the arm of her chair. "You're beautiful." he whispered in her ear. She slipped her hand into his and laid her head on his shoulder.