A Surprise

A week later James went to visit Sirius' and Remus' new place. It was small, but comfortable. It was in a little town just outside Godric's Hollow, surrounded by bright green fields and twisting little rivers. In the living room you could see quite clearly Sirius and Remus' personalities. A record player in the corner was playing Led Zeppelin, on the mantelpiece above the fire was several photographs, Sirius and Remus kissing under the Eiffel Tower, a photo took by James of Peter trying to stuff a massive sandwich into his mouth, being cheered along by his friends, a picture from first year of little James and Sirius hugging, and a picture of the four of the Marauders with their arms around each other, Lily with an arm wrapped around James' waist and her lips pressed to Sirius' cheek, while Sirius was fake blushing.

Sirius was stretched along the couch, his feet resting in Remus' lap. Remus was reading the Daily Prophet and drinking a cup of tea. James flopped down into an armchair. Sirius checked his watch and got up. "I've got to go get this fabulous hair cut." Sirius said, flipping his hair, kissing Remus, ruffling James' hair and leaping dramatically out of the room. The front door closed, James and Remus heard Sirius motorbike start, then the sound faded away. James moved to sit beside Remus. 

"We need to go on holiday." James said. Remus threw the newspaper aside. "Me, you, Sirius, Pete and Lily." James said. "Can we go in a caravan? I haven't done that since I was a little kid." Remus said excitedly. "I have no idea what that is but hell yes." James replied. "A caravan is like a big car with beds and stuff and you can borrow one for a few days so you can go on holiday." Remus explained. "That sounds wicked, also it should be a surprise. That's why I came to you." James said. "Why didn't you just plan it and surprise me as well?" Remus asked. "C'mon Moony, you love planning surprises and we all know you hate getting surprised." James replied. "I love you man." Remus said. "Love you too, right, planning." James said. "You get a caravan sorted, you know I can't talk to Muggles, lets go next Monday, right away from the full moon." James continued. "How long for?" Remus asked, fetching a quill and some parchment and starting to scribble down plans. "What do you reckon?" James asked. "How about we go for five days?" Remus asked. "Perfect." James replied.

Two days later James and Lily were eating dinner in their small dining room, a candle on the table between them. The front door burst open, James was expecting this. Sirius and Remus came in. "Cheesy." Sirius said, blowing out the candle. "Sirius, we always have a candle when we eat together." Remsu said, rolling his eyes. "Shut up Moony." Sirius replied. The door opened again. "Lads?" Peter asked from the hall. "We're in here Wormtail!" James called. "What's going on? Remus just told me to come over with enough clothes for a week." Peter asked, coming into the dining room. James got up, put an arm around Remus and told Peter and Sirius to sit down. Peter sat down in James' chair and Sirius sat on the table, swinging his legs. "Tomorrow morning..." Remus said. "We are all going..." James continued. "On holiday!" James and Remus yelled.

Peter was asleep on the couch, Remus and Sirius were in the spare room and James and Lily lay in bed, half awake, half asleep. "Are you excited?" James asked. "Of course I am, we've never been on holiday together." Lily said. "I love you Lily." James muttered. "And I love you." Lily replied, rolling into James' chest, looking up and pulling him down to kiss her.

Early that morning, at half past five Remus burst in James and Lily's bedroom. "Up you get, we've got to be out of here by six." Remus said, pulling open the curtains, but the sun hadn't even risen yet. James groaned and kicked back the duvet. He went into the bathroom and had a quick shower, while Remus yelled at Sirius to get up.

Fifteen minutes later James hurried downstairs, buttoning up his shirt and running his fingers through his hair. Peter was filling a bag with snacks. Lily was piling up the bags by the front door and Remus and Sirius were nowhere. "Urgh Moony's probably still trying to get Sirius up." James said and he went back upstairs to check. He knocked on the door of the spare bedroom and opened it. Sirius was still half asleep, he had convinced Remus to get back in bed and they were cuddled together. "Guys, we kinda have to go." James said. "Oh, yeah, um, come on then Sirius, get up." Remus mumbled, finding a tshirt and pulling it on.

They loaded up the back of the rented caravan with all the luggage (mostly it was Sirius') then they locked up the house and went into the caravan. Sirius instantly bagged the squashy couch in the corner and lay down on it. Lily and Remus sat down at the table and Remus pulled some out Muggle cards. James got into the driver's seat and Peter into the passenger's seat. James loved driving with Peter next to him, they just talked the whole time. Sirius passed a Queen CD to Peter and he started playing it as James started the engine. They drove for an hour, singing to Queen, Remus and Lily playing cards, Sirius drifting off, James and Peter talking about every subject under the sun, including a conversation about the sun.

They stopped for breakfast at a Muggle cafe and bought heaps of pancakes and milkshakes. They ate, then got back in the caravan and continued driving. At half past ten Lily and Peter swapped seats and James drove with one hand on Lily's knee, glancing sideways and grinning at her.

By lunchtime the summer sun was making them all sweat. James unbuttoned his shirt, flung it off and put on some sunglasses.