Pregnant

A few more weeks passed and Lily and James invited Remus, Sirius and Peter around for lunch. James poured out pumpkin juice and they tucked into their potatoes and chicken. Towards the end of the meal Lily caught James' eye and he nodded, setting down his knife and fork. "Lily and I have news. Good news that is." James said. Everyone looked curiously at James. "There's going to be a new Marauder." he said. Sirius and Peter looked confused. "Who? I mean, isn't eight years a bit late to join?" Sirius said. "No, Pads, you idiot. We're pregnant." James said, cutting across Sirius. "Me or you?" Sirius asked seriously. Remus smacked his hand into his face and was practically shaking with his attempts not to laugh. "Sirius, you dick, Lily's pregnant!" Remus shouted. "Jeez, don't turn into a wolf on me." Sirius replied. Remus scowled but then jumped up and hugged Lily. He pulled James in for a hug and clapped him on the back. "Congratulations mate." Remus said into James' ear as they broke apart. Peter hugged Lily as well and said across the table "Congratulations James." "Thanks Peter." James replied, smiling across at him. "So you're having a baby?" Sirius asked slowly. "Yes Sirius, we're having a baby." James said in an exasperated way. "Wicked." Sirius replied. He hurried around the table to hug Lily and then he smiled at James and hugged him too.

After lunch Remus, Peter and Lily went into the sitting room. "We'll have some of this while Lily's not here eh?" Sirius asked, pulling a bottle of firewhisky from the inside pocket of his leather jacket. James grinned and accepted a glass. "So, Daddy Prongs." Sirius said with his usual barklike laugh. "I know. It's terrifying." James said, taking a swig from his glass. "Don't worry about it mate, you raised us alright." Sirius said. James laughed. "We'll need a godfather of course." James said. "Remus would definitely be up to that, I mean that baby would be into chocolate before it can even eat chocolate." Sirius said. James grinned. "Actually Sirius, I want you to be godfather." James said. "Me?" Sirius asked, poking himself in the chest. "Yes you. Of course you." James said. "Challenge accepted." Sirius said, shaking James' hand.

James and Lily stopped going to missions for the Order. They often went to meetings to catch up with what was going on but neither of them wanted to risk anything.

Months passed and one person was the most friendly and helpful, after Sirius, Remus and Peter of course. Hagrid came around every Tuesday without fail. He helped to tidy the house, fold laundry, do the dishes and knitted way too many baby clothes. He stayed until late at night, Lily would go to bed and he and James would stay up until the early hours, drinking mead and talking.

Nine months passed and everyone was on edge. Hagrid sent endless mail, letters, poems and even more homemade baby clothes. Sirius and Remus visited every day, they only went home to give Lily and James rest. Peter stopped by quite often too but he seemed more distant than ever.