never ever in a million years

"What about this?"

"No. It wouldn't look good on you. You should just keep your hair natural!" Alisha says, touching Alma's hair. "It looks very good and you're very pretty. Just keep it like that!"

"But it's bothering me!" Alma laughs, putting her phone on the bed.

"Well cut it all off!"

"Okay, that's a little extreme. I just don't have the strength to straighten it and I also don't wanna break it."

"Well. You weren't with us for the reste of the English class, right?"

"No, I wasn't."

"Okay, because Mrs Jauregui gave us a paper." Alisha gets up and walks to her backpack. "It's for the parents teacher conference." She gives Alma the paper and Alma smiles.

"Oh yeah, thank you so much!" Alma puts it in her backpack and then goes back to where she was sitting.

"Who's Lauren?" Alisha asks with a smirk and Alma panicks, taking her phone and almost dropping it but she catches it.

"Nobody. Mind your business."

"Is she your girlfriend?"

"Who said I was gay?" Alma fakes being offended, and Alisha laughs.

"Literally everything about you. Who is she? Can I see the picture?" Alisha asks, scooting closer to Alma as the older girl looks at the notification.

She did receive a picture on Snapchat from Lauren. She hesitates a few seconds, but she thinks fuck it and opens the picture.

She can't stop herself from smiling when she sees it, and Alisha's jaw drops.

"Alma I am begging you, please tell me this is not Mrs Jauregui. I'm begging."

"Sorry." Alma chuckles.

"You're dating her?"

"Yeah. Obviously I expect you to shut the hell up about it because if anyone knows we're both screwed."

"Of course, of course. Don't worry your secret is safe with me." Alisha smiles and Alma smiles back, texting Lauren back with heart eyes smileys.

"Oh my Lord, Alma I was so worried! It's been two days!" Alma's mom says as soon as she walks in, and Alma immediately makes her way to her room to start her homework while texting both Lauren and Alisha.

Her mom doesn't try to talk to us and she's happy with that because she doesn't wanna talk to any of the adults in this house.

As soon as she's done she walks downstairs, still ignoring her mom, as Tamsin runs towards her. Of course, she plays with her until dinner time where both David and her mom are staring at her as she talks to her sister.

"Where did you stay?" Her mom asks and Alma ignores her. "Hey, I'm talking to you. I'm worried about you, your grades are getting bad. Alma? Were you safe?" Her mom keeps asking and it drives Alma crazy because she can tell that her mom's just pretending to care.

"Stop pretending that you care about me. If you did, you would've texted. You would've called. You would've stopped everything a long time ago but you're so blinded by this piece of shit that you don't even notice. Or you just act like you don't notice." Alma says, and as David goes to say something, her mom looks at him in the eyes.

"That's not true, you're my baby. I was so worried about you but I knew if I called or texted you wouldn't have answered me anyway."

"I know exactly what you're doing so save it. Just stop. You're trying to make me feel bad so you won't feel like a bad mother but guess what! You are a bad mother. I really enjoyed this dinner until you opened your mouth, so thanks for ruining it. I'm leaving."

"Where to?" Her mom stands up as Alma walks up the stairs, not answering.

She tried. She really tried to face them but just looking at him makes her so angry and her mom acting so clueless and selfish is really too much, so she's rather just leave, and she leaves the parents teacher conference paper on the dining table as she leaves, already knowing her mom will go in the evening, in a few days.

It's pitch black out but she doesn't care, Lauren doesn't live far away anyway.

As soon as she opens the door, Lauren lets her in.

"I really tried my best to not leave them but you should've heard my mom talk." Alma says, leaving her shoes and backpack in the entry and Lauren follows her.

Alma turns around.

"So selfish! She was trying to make me feel bad about leaving and not telling her anything so she wouldn't be the bad mom and that's so selfish of her to not think about what I have to say or what they put me through, not even for one second! I swear I really tr-" Alma goes on and on with her ranting but Lauren cuts her off by cupping her cheeks and kissing her.

Alma chuckles as Lauren pulls away.

"You're so fucking hot." Lauren says, and Alma laughs, pushing her away so she'll be able to be on top of her on the couch.

"You know, I was with Alisha when you sent me that picture today."

"Oh of course you were with Alisha!" Lauren chuckles, half joking.

"You don't like her?"

"It's not that I don't like her, I don't see my students like that," Lauren says and Alma raises her eyebrows, looking at their position. "except for you, smart ass. I have nothing against her it's just that I don't like how close you guys have gotten, and so fast." Lauren finally admits, setting her pride aside.

"You're jealous?"

"No. Well, yeah, kind of, but not it that toxic way. It's just that my past relationship wasn't really great and I trusted that person but I still got played and I just don't wanna get played again because it's an awful feeling and also, I mean you'd have your reasons to leave me for Alisha." Lauren nervously plays with the hem of Alma's hoodie as Alma tilts her head.

"What do you mean? I don't like Alisha like that. I like you like that."

"No, yeah, I know but I just... I guess it'd be easier for you to be with her than me and I don't wanna be replaced because I really really like you," Lauren says, not wanting to drop the big word in case it's too soon. "And I would hate to lose you."

"I could never replace you, because I could never ever in a million years find someone as perfect as you, someone who could make me feel so good. It's so cheesy but it's true, there's nobody like you in this world."

Lauren smiles, looking at her girlfriend in awe as she kisses her again.

"Okay well if you're planning on spending the night here we should go to sleep soon because you have school tomorrow." Lauren says, kissing Alma again, but Alma prevents her from standing up by pushing her again.

"I'm not tired." She says, looking at Lauren's unbuttoned shirt and cleavage, then looking back up with a smirk.