we're over

Alma wakes up from a suspiciously nice night of sleep, and she remembers everything when she feels messy dark hair tickling her face, making her smile as she looks at the time. It's too early, she doesn't want to leave Lauren's side, but she has to because they both have to go to school.

She turns around and she now faces Lauren, who's still sleeping, and Alma just loves her face.

She doesn't wake her up, and gets out of her girlfriend's grip to walk downstairs. She can hear her little sister talking and her mom answering her, but she stops when she sees a suitcase in the hallway next to the door.

She frowns and walks to the kitchen.

"What's that?" She asks her mom, pointing to the hallway.

"That's David's stuff."

"Where's he going?"

"I don't know. I don't care. He's leaving."

"Do you mean leaving?"

"I'm kicking him out. That's what I mean."

Alma smiles.

"Oh. Well, okay. Do you like Lauren? I mean... What's happening now?"

"I want you to be careful. I would hate to visit you both in prison."

Alma grins and nods.

"We will. We'll be careful. Promise."

She bites her lips and basically runs upstairs.

Never ever has she thought that her life would end up being good.

She has her mom's approval to be with the love of her life, her mom's leaving her abusive boyfriend, and she's back with Lauren.

She couldn't ask for anything better.

"Lauren?" She whispers, caressing her girlfriend's cheek. "Wake up baby. We can't get there at the same time."

"I don't wanna go." Lauren whines. "I wanna stay with you all day."

Lauren reaches for Alma's wrist and pushes her forward, making her laugh.

"Okay, we can cuddle for a little bit and then we have to get ready. And have breakfast. And I also miss Tamsin so I wanna cuddle her too."

Lauren smiles as Alma nudges her head into her neck, and the door opens on its own.

"What's happening?" Lauren whispers and Alma chuckles.

"You can come in baby." She says, and she sits up to look at Tamsin who's in her pyjamas, hair messy and holding her teddy bear close.

Alma picks her up and Tamsin sits in the bed, looking at Lauren as if she were an alien.

"Your hair is really messy. Did you fight yout bear last night?" Lauren asks her, and Tamsin smiles through her pacifier and shakes her head.

"Silly Lauren." She says, and both of the girls laugh.

"Is Lauren a silly girl?"

"Ya!" Tamsin giggles.

"You're so adorable I wanna eat you!" Alma says, and Tamsin takes her pacifier out of her mouth.

"No monster!" She says, pushing Alma away.

After a few minutes playing with her sister, Alma eventually pushes Lauren out of bed and they get breakfast, and then they get ready.

"My mom's leaving him." Alma says when it's silent because Lauren's doing her makeup.

"That's a shame, I didn't even get to see him once." Lauren says, applying mascara as Alma's laying in her back in her bed, all ready.

"That's true!" She sits up. "Well you're not missing anything. We're better off without him. I mean, Tamsin doesn't even care about him anymore."

"Really? Poor guy. Imagine your two year old hates you." Lauren says, and contemplates her thought, then she chuckles, making Alma chuckle too.

"I mean... I probably made her hate him. And I'm proud of that."

When they're both ready, Lauren leaves first so Alma walks her to the door and as soon as Lauren's car disappears, her mom's bedroom door opens and David walks downstairs.

Alma looks at her mom, then looks at Tamsin who's almost done eating her breakfast.

"What's going on?" He asks, poiting at his suitcases.

"You're leaving." Sarah says, her voice kind of shaky and Alma's honestly ready to fight.

"What do you mean?"

"We're over, David. You're out. And you're leaving right now."

"No I'm not."

Alma takes Tamsin and walks upstairs to get her ready for daycare, as her mom keeps nicely asking David to leave.

"Listen, David, if you don't leave I'm calling the police, and you'll be in trouble. You'd rather just leave right now and never come back than get escortes by the police and never see the light of day again."

The door opens and Alma chuckles as she can hear that her mom's pushing him out, and she locks the door.

"No more dad. We're on the same team now."

"Bye bye daddy!"

"Yeah, right. Bye bye bad daddy."

"Bad daddy. Bad."

Alma puts her little sister's shoes on, then she puts hers on and takes her backpack.

"I'm proud of you." She tells her mom.

She goes in for a kind of awkward hug, and she smiles at her before walking out the door to her bus stop.

As soon as she walks into school, she spots Alisha by her locker, and she almost runs to her.

"Dude, my life took the craziest turn ever." She tells her friend as she hugs her.

"What happened?" Alisha asks, and as they walk to Lauren's class, Alma explains to her how her evening and morning went.

"Woah. That's a lot! I'm glad you're finally happy, you deserve it." Alisha smiles and she opens the door.

"Thanks. I'm glad you're my friend." Alma says before walking in, and she smiles at Lauren.

"Hi girls." Lauren says, and Alisha looks at Alma with her eyebrows raised.

Alma has a dumb smile on her face as she makes eye contact with Lauren until she's sitting at her desk and Alisha steps on her foot.

"That was painful to watch as a single person." Alisha whispers, and Alma looks at her.

"I tried getting you a girlfriend and you didn't like her. I'm done trying to help you, you're not being cooperative."

"She wasn't on the same vibe as me! I can't help it if we didn't align."

Alma mocks her, then other studenrs start to walk in and eventually Lauren starts her lesson, Alma trying her best to not send her the most obvious heart eyes. At least not until everyone's looking down.

Because when everyone's looking down on their notebooks, that's when playful looks and heart eyes are exchanged, and when Lauren looks at her with that smile, it never fails to make Alma's heart drop to her stomach.