toxic relationships are not it

When Alma goes home this evening, she rethinks everything.

Obviously, the moment she spent with Lauren keeps replaying in her head and it comforts her a tiny bit to know that Lauren doesn't hate her, and that she's still there. Because a world without Lauren isn't a world Alma wants to live in. Never.

But also, she kind of wants to jump from a bridge under the biggest truck she can find, because she still can't see her. Or kiss her more. Or God, even touch her.

Alma would die to fall asleep in Lauren's arms because no one could ever understand how bad she needs Lauren's reassurance. Her anxiety has been going off the roof with all of these things happening, and she's honestly constantly on the verge of a meltdown.

And the fact that it's the last week before the break isn't helping at all. She has three days to figure something out if she wants to spend time with Lauren before they get separated for two weeks.

Alma's first thought was confronting her mother. It's a little extreme but deep inside of her, she knows that it could lead to something.

So she decides that she'll do it, and she patiently waits for her mom to come home, hoping she's in a good mood because it could influence a positive reaction.

"Hey." She tells her and Sarah smiles.

"Hi. What do you need?"

Alma sits on the kitchen counter, and her mom squints as her daughter grows nervous.

"I... I just wanted to talk to you about... You know..."

"I don't really think there's anything to talk about. I get why you would do that, b-"

"You do?" Alma frowns, confused.

"She's really pretty. She seems nice. I do get it. But as a one time thing and a mistake."

Sarah leans again the kitchen sink, and Alma reads her mother's body language. She seems settled for a conversation, and it's going pretty well for now.

"It wasn't, mom." Alma's eyes start watering because she's feeling too much.

She wipes her tears, and looks up with a sad smile.

"It wasn't a one time mistake."

"What do you mean?" Sarah frowns again.

"It didn't happen once. I- We-" Alma sighs. "I just want you to try and understand. Please?"

"I do, baby. I understand, but it can't happen."

"Can you listen to what I'm about to say without any sort of reaction?"

Sarah looks at her daughter, taking in the tears falling down her face. She nods.

"Okay. Go ahead."

Alma panicks a little because she expected her mom to snap at this point. To tell her to leave her alone, that this was a case closed.

"I'm nineteen. I'm an adult. And I'm so in love with her, mom!" She sobs, but maintains her composure. "She's the sweetest person, and I really want her in my life forever. I've had one time mistakes, and I want you to trust me that this isn't one. I love her so much, it hurts me. And I- I think you should meet her."

"Honey, I did meet her. She seems like a sweetheart, but she's your teacher."

"Can't we just go past that? Please. She's an adult, and so am I. Besides the fact that she's my teacher, there's nothing wrong with our relationship."

Sarah closes her eyes and puts her face in her hands to think about God knows what, while Alma contains her sobs.

"How old is she?"

"Twenty three."

Sarah sighs loudly.

"We just want to be together. Are you not in love? Don't you know what love is? Don't you want me to be happy?" Alma says, fully sobbing at this point.

"I do. I want you to be happy."

"She's my happiness. She's literally the only thing that makes me happy in this shitty life of mine."

"We can't have David knowing she's your teacher. He's working tonight. Invite her for dinner."

Alma frowns and stops moving.

"Wait, really?"

"I don't want you stuck in toxic relationships, like me." Sarah admits. "If that's what it takes for you to be in a happy relationship..."

Alma doesn't even say anything, she takes her jacket and puts her shoes on to go to Lauren's house.

She knocks twice, and the door opens on a beautiful lady, as always.

"Alma. What are you doing here?" Lauren smiles, letting her in.

"I gave it a try, and I talked to my mom. I have no idea what she's on, but you're coming over for dinner."

"What? How did you- Why-"

"I don't know, I'm just as confused as you are!"

"What time?"

"I have no idea. 6:30? I don't know." Alma chuckles and Lauren just laughs.

They look at each other in silence and Alma takes this time to breathe, and realize what's going on. She was about to say something, but Lauren's lips crash on hers, making her smile.

"I didn't expect everything to be so fast." Lauren says. "But I'm glad I took the opportunity to make up with you."

"I'm glad you did. I'm sorry for what I put you through, it was uncalled for and I should've just told you what was happening."

"I forgive you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." Lauren smirks, and Alma hugs her. "I should get ready."

"Yeah, you should. I should too. I'm gonna go."

"Okay. Go. Bye!"

"See you at 6:30." Alma closes the door and walks back home.

After a quick shower, Alma blow dries her hair and puts on jeans and a sweater, because she's so cold. When she's ready, she walks downstairs and plays with Tamsin as she watches her mom in the kitchen. She gets up and helps setting the table.

"You got the fancy setting?" Alma asks, not showing the smile that's on her face.

"I did. It's still a special occasion, I'm meeting your girlfriend."

Alma nods, and gives Tamsin the rest of the forks as she asks to help too.

The toddler looks up at her as the doorbell rings. She points at the door.

"Who's that? Should we check?" Alma asks and Tamsin runs to the door to open it.

"Hi." Lauren says to the girl, and looks up to see Alma. "I like your dress."

Tamsin runs away and Alma grows a little nervous.

"Hey." She takes Lauren's hand. "I'm kinda scared."

"Don't be. I got this."