consideration and winter prom

"Hey, Alma!" Someone calls, so Alma stops walking and turns around.

It's a boy she's seen before, and she has a bad feeling about this so she turns back around and continues walking to her English Class.

"Wait! Wait for me."

"I really don't feel like talking to you, Josh. Sorry."

He chuckles.

"I'm serious. Come on, I wanna ask you something!" He stops her again as she's right in front of Lauren's class.

"What?" She finally turns around and he smiles.

"Do you wanna like... Go to Winter Prom with me?"

Alma takes a few seconds to take it in because first of all this never happened to her, and second of all why would he be asking? It's not as if he didn't know she's gay, he literally bullied her for this? She awkwardly chuckles.

"No. I don't want to, sorry."

Josh laughs and his friends come out, laughing too.

"I was just joking, I ain't going to no Prom with a lesbian!" He says, walking away.

"Hey, wait!" Someone says behind Alma and she obviously recognized Lauren's voice.

They stop, and they turn around.

"We were just joking!" One of them says.

"I don't think that homophobia is a very funny topic. Next time I catch you guys being dicks, you're going to the principal. Clear?"

"Yes ma'am." They say, walking away and chuckling.

Alma turns around nervously.

"Thanks." She says, walking into class as Lauren watches her.

She reaches Alisha and sits down next to her.

"Who are they?" Alisha asks as Alma pulls out her notebook.

"Random boys. Are you going to Prom?"

"I mean I want to, but I have no one to go with. I don't know anybody here." Alisha says, shyly chuckling.

"Okay well we can go together," Alma says, her eyes falling into Lauren's but they both look away, "and I will help you find a partner once we're there. Boy or girl, you chose."

Alisha laughs.

"I don't really care about gender, I just go with the feeling."

"Well I know someone you'd actually go along with! I'm not going to tell you who for now because I wanna go to the Prom so I won't let you ditch me for them, bu-"

"Why do you wanna go so bad?" Alisha says and Alma shakes it off.

"Because it's fun."

"Oh really? I heard Miss Jauregui will be there. Did you hear?"

"No, I didn't." Alma quickly answers.

"Well you're a terrible liar. I'll be your Prom partner but maybe you should tell her that we're not together because I can tell she still doesn't know from the way she's trying to kill me with her eyes." Alisha says and Alma looks at Lauren, who immediately looks away.

"I will. I'll tell her. I just... Don't know how. I'm scared." Alma admits, opening up and truly trusting Alisha.

It's been a long time since she's trust anyone as a friend. Last time she did, it turned out the person wasn't a friend and she managed to get most of the popular kids to hate her with no one sticking up for her except herself.