happy

As Alma's eating a cereal bar in the kitchen, watching Tamsin playing quite loudly in the living room, her mom arrives from upstairs.

Alma finally feels at home in her house. Actually she just feels at home in general... If it makes sense. She's even terrified of how well her life is going right now. After the night Lauren spent in Alma's house, and since her mom savagely dumped David, well Lauren came over quite few times.

Some times her mom invited her. Some times she didn't even know Lauren was here, let alone what was happening in Alma's bedroom.

It's the first day of Winter break, it's Saturday and it's snowing. The house is full of joy and Alma lives for this energy. She loves the holidays in the first place but spending them with her family minus David is the nicest.

"What?" Alma says with a smile as her mom has been staring at her.

"Nothing. I'm just glad our family is happy. You're happy right? With Lauren, and all?"

Alma nods with a grateful smile.

"I am. You don't even know how happy I am. Lauren, Alisha, you guys..." she adds, pointing at her mom and Tamsin. "I've never been happier."

"Well I'm glad you are. Did you see I bought the Chrismas tree?"

"I did!" Alma says, remembering the moment she saw it in the garage while grabbing some milk. "Are we going to decorate it today?"

"Yeah, if you want to. We just need to grab the ornaments. But first I have something I want to talk about with you." Sarah says, becoming serious and Alma frowns with a smile.

"What?"

"It's just about Lauren. Have you guys... You know... Done it?"

"No." Alma closes her eyes. "I'm not talking about this with you. We alread had the sex talk when I was sixteen. I still remember everything, don't worry."

"I just want you to be careful. This is a dangerous relationship and-"

"Christmas ornaments!" Alma jumps from the counter, her hands on her ears as her mom laughs, watching her run to the garage.

She comes back with two boxes and Tamsin squeals in excitement.

"Christmas!" She says, clapping her hands as Sarah brings the tree into the living room, placing it next to the fireplace.

Iconic Christmas songs playing in the back, Alma doesn't even realize how good this moment is until she takes a moment to watch Tamsin, in Christmas pyjamas, singing and dancing to Jingle Bells. Well at least, we can tell that's what she's trying to sing.

The feeling of pure joy washes over her as her sister looks at her with the biggest grin.

When they're all calm, they're sat down on the couch watching the lights in silence:

"Do you think Lauren would want to spend Christmas with us?" Sarah asks, and Alma takes a while to imagine what spending Christmas would be like.

"I don't know. Maybe she's doing it with her family."

"Could you ask?"

"Yeah." Alma smiles and looks at her. "I will. I'll ask her tomorrow. You like her?"

"I do, actually. She's a very nice girl. She's very polite, I really do like her. I'd be glad to have her over for Christmas Eve. Especially since it's only us this year."

Alma smiles to herself when her mom gets up and leaves the living room, and she looks away to her sister sitting on the floor, her head up as she's silently watching the lights.

"Isn't it so pretty?" Alma softly says, sitting next to her.

"It's Christmas, Alma."

"Yeah, I know. Are you excited to get your presents?"

"Barbie?"

"I don't know. Did you ask Santa for Barbies?"

"Ya!"

"Well then I hope you were the best girl ever all year."

"Big girl Tamsin."

"Yeah you're a big girl." Alma smiles, and leaves her sister to herself as she goes to her room.

She spends an hour redecorating it with Christmas lights because she wanted to, then she eats dinner, showers, and gets to bed.

Her old habits of skipping her second period came back as soon as she got back with Lauren, and Lauren tried to force Alma to go but there's nothing she can do more.

And also, she loves being with her.

She loves feeling her kisses on her neck as she's reading papers.

Right now, she's feeling Alma's hands going up under her sweater.

"Nuh uh." Lauren says. "What are you doing. Keep your hands to yourself, I'm not doing this."

"I mean I could, but why would I want to?" Alma quotes and Lauren smiles, just letting her girlfriend touch her as she grades tests.

When she's done, Alma speaks up.

"Are you celebrating Christmas with your family?" She asks, pulling away so she's able to look at Lauren.

"I'm supposed to, yeah. Why?"

"My mom wants you with us."

"Oh. Not that I don't want to meet your family, I'm sure they're lovely, but that's a bi-"

"It's just us, babe. My mom, Tamsin and I. My family doesn't live here. They're all in Bosnia."

"Oh... Well. I guess I can, then. But wait... What present should I get your mom? What about Tamsin... What does she like?"

"You don't have to get us anything, baby, we just want you there because we genuinely want your presence."

"Tell me. What do I get your mom?"

Alma rolls her eyes, and gives in.

"A necklace. Whatever necklace, she just likes them. Get Tamsin a cheap Barbie doll, she'll be obsessed with it for the next three months."

"What about you? What do you want?"

"Nothing. I just want you, you're with me, I'm with you, we're happy, that's all that matters. I don't need anything, really."

Now it's Lauren who rolls her eyes, and lets it slide. She's sure she'll figure something out.

She looks at Alma's grin, and it makes her smile too.

"What? What's going on?"

"Nothing!" Alma answers, putting her hand on Lauren's cheek. "I'm just happy. Can't I be happy?"

"Actually, it's recommended. I'm glad you're happy, my love." Lauren says, kissing the corner of the blonde's mouth.