two

CHAPTER 2: NEVER MY WAY

"Take a seat." She gestures to the dining table.

You pull out the wooden chair and sat down, its attached cushion sinks from your weight. Recovery Girl sets a bowl of rice, rolled scrambled eggs, miso soup, fried fish, and a glass of water in front of you. It all smelled really good.

"I hope you slept well."

She sets her side of the table with the same servings of food, and sits down. She offers you chopsticks, which you take and thank her with a nod. Like expected, she is dressed in her hero costume early in the morning, likely going straight to work after breakfast.

Before eating, she looked at you weirdly. "Did you sleep in those clothes..?"

You nod.

She sighs. "You have pajamas in the closet, be sure to use them tonight."

You would've asked her what pajamas looked like, but your throat...

After putting the chopsticks in your hands and holding them how you've always seen other people hold them, you grabbed a piece of egg.

"Today, we're going back to the hospital."

You turn your head in confusion as you chewed on some food.

"We're going to check for your quirk."

That last word made you put down your chopsticks. You despised that word.

Quirks. The very thing that would've kept you off the streets, the very thing that would make you different from the dead. All those illegal organizations that you could've worked for, which would help you at least earn enough to eat, and yet you were denied by them. You didn't have one.

You didn't have a quirk.

"I... don't..." You whisper.

"You don't appear to have one, but I assume you've never checked with a professional."

You were silent.

It was just impossible.

A lot of the kids on the streets got jobs at the age of 4, and it's because they developed their quirks. But you were absolutely at least 5. In conclusion, you had no hope whatsoever, and you could only expect a confirmation that you were nothing.

Recovery Girl sees your gloomy expression. She is aware of your age and all, but she'd rather check with a professional.

━━━━━━

"Here are the results." He hands you a couple monochrome sheets and points at a white figure. "Strangely, there's definitely an extra joint in your pinky toe."

Recovery Girl understood what he meant, but you tilt your head.

"What I mean is that you are supposed to have a quirk, yet I'm not sure why but it hasn't manifested," he clarifies.

Your eyes were wide, being both terrified and shocked. This wasn't how you wanted to hear it.

You expected a clear confirmation, a cruel truth that you never had a quirk, and was never meant to be born with one either. But instead, your heart is shattered. Shattered from hearing that you were supposed to have one, making you frantically wonder what went wrong. What did you do different from those other children..? What stopped your quirk from manifesting..?