five ━ backstory end

CHAPTER 5: WISH TO RESTART

Rejection hurt a lot.

It leaves you dumbfounded, not knowing what to do next.

But people react differently, they may see rejection as a minor obstacle, motivation to continue, or just stop altogether. There's a great number of ways to respond, and you chose to...

Restart.

. . .

I want to restart everything..! I did it all wrong... wrong wrong wrong..!

Your mind wasn't in the right when you decided that, yet you stood by it.

━━━━━━

The sun was going down, and the streetlights simultaneously take their shifts, finally illuminating the soon-to-be dark streets. Blinding multicolored neon signs, large commercial screens, and traffic horns took over, waves of nostalgia took over her mind. These streets are what she is familiar with, it was the back of her hand.

She took a sharp turn and disappeared into an alleyway. Her fingers traced the cracks in the walls as she went deeper, the smell of burnt trash and exposed sewage attacks her senses. She did not flinch.

Almost... there...

The path got narrow. It echoed the faintest of sounds: water dripping, laughter, and the mewl of a stray cat. To her, it felt a lot more lively than when she was there. She went further into the darkness, relying on nothing but the stars. A breeze came through, threatening to rip off the large long-sleeved shirt she wore. However, she couldn't help but feel a bit of difference in the winds, an amount of warmth. She approached a corner with a flickering orange light.

There, two hooded strangers stood in her path, enjoying the warmth of the trash bin fire. With their palms exposed and focused on staying warm, she thought they wouldn't notice her. But unfortunately a cat appears and screeches at her presence, causing the strangers to look her way. Perhaps the world was against her.

"Look, a stray cat," one says, and his partner mumbles in agreement.

[f/n] chose to stay silent, and continued to pass them... or attempted too.

They block your path. "You look a little too clean... got cash?"

. . .

"I... have nothing..."

He pushes her roughly, causing her to lose balance and land on her butt.

━━━━━━ 

You purse your lips but you don't panic, there was no need to waste energy.

"Ya got sum fine clothes on ya," something in his hand glints in the moonlight, "wanna give 'em up?" His friend follows closely from behind.

You clutched your shirt, feeling the fabric before deciding. "Okay."

The men were shocked, not expecting you to give in so easily.