Chapter 9

Theo’s POV-

We arrive at the carnival and surprisingly, we aren’t recognized by many fans. I also have something BIG planned for today.

This carnival is small, and has some rides, but mostly just games. We walk up to the knock down the bottles game, and I give the game runner a dollar. He hands us 3 tan balls and I give two to Shai.

I look towards Shai, and I let her throw first. She misses the first time, but knocks down all three the second time! That’s my Shai! The game runner then says that we can throw only 1 ball again to win a big prize.

The man resets the bottles and I try to hand the cold, smooth ball to Shai. She pushes my hand away and says, “Theo, you try!”

“Ok, Shai..you know I’m not going to be very good at this.” Shai laughs and then I take a deep breath and throw the heavy ball. Surprisingly, I knock down all of the bottles! 

Shai looks at me with surprise, saying, “Theodore Peter James Kinnaird Tapkilis! You said you weren’t good at this!” She playfully hits me and the man gives me a giant tan stuffed bear.

I hand her the bear and say, “For you, my lady.”

“Thank you, my kind sir,” Shai says and bows.

I laugh and we walk away from that game. We then play a few more games including spin the wheel, raffles, and a lot more. Trust me, I brought a lot of money for this.

Then I say, “Shai, let’s go on the Ferris Wheel! Relive old memories. When we start Insurgent, we won’t have time to do this!”

“Ok, Theo. Calm down!”

We walk towards the Ferris Wheel and climb into one of the carriers. It is a white carrier, obviously old, but not too rusted. 

We sit down and let the ride carry us. The view is stunning as we look out of its windows. The trees are so green in the distance. I think it’s now time.

As Shai looks out in the distance, I get down on one knee. As Shai turns around, she gasps.