Chapter 11 - Missing Person

After a few moments, I arrived at Dylan's house. I avoided the roads and detoured right through Mr. McGuffy's yard so that I could get here quicker. I dash up the porch steps and lean over to catch my breath. Lord, I'm out of shape. I ran track in high school, but I haven't kept up with it since I graduated. God, It's pouring down rain, and my clothes are soaked. I reach down to grab my phone and dial Mariah's number before I even attempt to confront Dylan. It doesn't even ring; it goes straight to voicemail. It's either dead or turned off. Fuck! 

After I catch my breath, I knock on his door.  A moment later, he aggressively yanks it open. His eyes widened as he realizes it's me, "Brie! I'm not going to listen to any excuses, so don't even bother!"

This stubborn asshole! I will not let him dismiss me like this, so I push my way past him through the entry, "Where is she!?" 

"Where's who?!"

Frustrated, I throw my hands up in the air, "Mariah! Who do you think?!"

"I don't fucking know. Why don't you ask fuck face?! Maybe she ran off with him! Did you call her?" he replies defensively.

"Yes, I fucking called her, and no, she did not run off with fuck face! She ran him off! In fact, we both did! She was in bed sick all fucking day! I was home, Dylan! I know she was not with him! Once you stormed off like a big baby, she told him to leave, and she sped off after you in her car. Momma got the call that the police found her car wrapped around a tree, but she was nowhere to be found! Where is she, Dylan!?"

"I don't fucking know! She's not here!" he responds. 

I begin to anxiously paces the floor, "Was she ever here?!"

"No, I have been here alone the entire time!"

I place my head in my hands as I continue to pace the floors, "Oh my God! Something isn't right here, Dylan! Her phone goes straight to voicemail."

He raises his arms to lace his fingers behind his neck, "Fuck! Call her Mom! Maybe she knows."

"Momma already did! She doesn't know where she is! Reagan is on her way up here. She's on a rampage."

He reaches out to comfort me as I begin to sob, "Wait, let's just think for a second... What could have happened to her?"

"What if she hit her head and wandered off and she's lost? She just vanished, Dylan! How does that even happen?" I reach into my back pocket to fish out my phone, "I need to call Momma and tell her she's not here."

Dylan anxiously paces the floors while I call Momma. It rings twice before she picks up, "Hello," she answers. 

"Momma, she's not here. Dylan hasn't seen her." I tell her as I hear Dylan speaking in the background simultaneously. I turn around to find him on the phone with someone. 

"I'm going to call the police and file a missing person report. I'm on my way," she says before disconnecting the call. 

I walk up behind Dylan and tap his shoulder as he hangs up the phone, "Hey, Momma is calling the police and filing a missing person's report. She is on her way over here."

"God, what the fuck!? Where did she go?! I can't live this life without her! I can't do it, Brie!" he cries out while striking his fists against the wall in frustration.

I gently pat his shoulder to comfort him, "We will find her."

"I hope you are right."

Moments later, Seth comes barreling through the front door, making a beeline for me. He wraps his arms around me tightly as I melt into him. I inhale audibly as the delicious aroma of his cologne invades my nostrils. Ahh...I needed this. He always knows how to calm me down, "Hey Brie, It's okay, darlin. We will find her. I promise." He whispers as he strokes my hair.