Chapter 14 - New Beginnings, Fresh Start

"Wake up, sleepyhead," I hear before I begin to stir and open my eyes. 

I stretch my arms up over my head and yawn, "Mornin Momma." I respond. 

Momma reaches up and brushes the hair from my eyes with her index finger, "Come on, sweetheart. Let's get ready to head out. Mariah is on her way over here."

"Okay," I reply before rolling off the bed and placing my feet flat on the floor. A sudden wave of emotion sweeps over me. Today I will begin a new chapter in my life: new beginnings and a fresh start. My stomach flips as I force myself up and grab the clothes I laid out on my empty desk table before marching to the bathroom. 

"I'll be downstairs waiting on you, sugar," Momma calls out from my bedroom. 

As bile rises in my throat, I am unable to respond. I'm a nervous wreck, and I'm absolutely riddled with heartache. I open the bathroom door and flip the shower lever on, allowing it to heat up while I brush my teeth. I can't help but wonder how Seth is feeling today. I wonder if he's grieving as much as I am. Come on, Brie; you know boys don't get in their feels as girls do. 

I quickly get myself cleaned up and dressed. After I leave this bathroom, I will no longer allow myself to grieve. Life moves on, so I have to keep up the pace along with it. I turn the knob and exit the bathroom before marching down the hallway. All is well with my soul now; it has to be. I just needed some alone time to make sense of it all, " Momma!" I call out. 

"Yes, baby, Mariah and I are downstairs," she responds.  

I quickly jot down the steps towards the living room. Once I enter, I notice Mariah is sitting on the sofa, and she looks up once she notices me, "Hey Brie." she mumbles quietly. Her eyes are wet with tears. 

"No! You are not allowed to do that, Colie!" I say aloud, pointing my finger at her. 

She snickers, "I know I am so sorry." She responds. 

"You will mess up your makeup, which by the way, you did an amazing job covering up the bruise. I can't tell you were ever in an accident." 

She shrugs her shoulders, "It's almost completely healed. I just used a little bit of concealer over the yellow spots." 

Momma chimes in, "You girls ready to go?" 

"Yeah, I'm ready, " I mumble as I amble through the entry and grab my purse off the coat rack while lugging my Jansport backpack over my shoulder filled with my makeup and hair supplies. 

Momma and Mariah follow close behind me as I lead the way out the doors towards Momma's SUV. We climb into the vehicle and take off down the road en route to Knoxville, TN. 

Along the way, I attempt to make small talk. "Colie, I'm so surprised Dylan let you come today," I mention as I flip through the radio stations searching for a recognizable song. 

She chuckles, "Well, he wasn't happy about it. He thinks I'm a fragile piece of glass that will shatter at any time just because I'm pregnant. Don't get me wrong; I love how protective and loving he is, but there's no way he can keep me from tagging along to see my baby cousin off to college today." 

"God love that knucklehead," I respond as I stop scanning the radio stations once I come across a George Strait tune. 

I gently hum along to the melody as I stare out the window. Luckily I have gorgeous scenery to gaze at on the way, noticing that there's not a cloud in the sky. I roll down my window and enjoy the gentle warm breeze blowing my hair wildly around my face. 

"Have you spoken to your roommate?" Momma asks curiously while snapping me out of my daydream.

"Yeah, I did last week. She's arriving today as well." I respond.