Chapter 29 - Enraged

Seth and I arrive at Nova's house. Shit! Maggie's car is here! I haven't talked to her since the funeral Saturday. I hope she isn't super pissed at me. I reluctantly climb out of the car and unfasten John Luke's car seat and lifting him out while Seth grabs his bag out of the back seat, "Seth, I pray Maggie isn't pissed at me. I told her we would get together at the funeral; I haven't even called her yet." I tell him. 

"Just tell her you were busy helping me. Maybe you can stop by tomorrow with bub and hang out with her. Don't worry about it, baby."

As we walk up the front porch, Nova opens the door, "There's my little buddy." she says as she reaches out her arms for John Luke. 

"Nana!" he cries out. 

She opens the door and takes John Luke from my arms. I look to my right as I come inside and notice that Maggie is curled up with an afghan; she smiles at me, "Hey, heifer." I say as I approach her. 

Suddenly, I'm startled as I feel something wet on the back of my leg; I spin around to find the cutest little white fluffy dog wagging its tail, "Oh my goodness. Aren't you the cutest little puppy?" I say as I kneel to pet the top of its head. 

"Hugh Heffnah, meet Chloe, that's Gran's dog," Maggie says. 

I turn around to glance at her, "Oh my goodness! I love her!"

John Luke approaches the puppy and pats her back, "Gentle, bubby. See watch Brie." I instruct him as I gently rub the back of the dog's back. 

He mimics me by gently rubbing the dog's back, "Good boy." I tell him. 

"I thought Seth was just hanging out over at Dylan and Mariah's house tonight? That's why Momma is watching both of the kids. Did they invite you too?" Maggie asks. 

I stand up, "Yeah, Mariah invited me this morning. I'm watching John Luke this week for Seth." I respond. 

She shrugs her shoulders and diverts her gaze past me while flipping through the channels. Nova leads John Luke over to the spare bedroom, "Come back here, baby; your girlfriend, Georgia, is already here playing with the toys."  

Feeling a bit awkward that Maggie is now ignoring my presence, I glance at Seth, "So Maggs, how's work?" Seth asks to try to break the ice.

"Same ol shit, different day." She says as she continues to flip through the channels, avoiding eye contact with him. 

Nova comes out, "Well, the kids are playing in the spare bedroom. I got this, you two go on ahead and have fun. We are okay here," she says as she ushers us out.

Seth and I belt out a chuckle as we walk towards the front door. I spin around and glance back at Maggie; she's not even making eye contact with me, "Maggie, I'll call you tomorrow to hang out." 

She snickers, "Sure you will," she blurts out with a snarky undertone.

Nova glances back at her before turning back to me, a look of shock crosses her face, and she shrugs her shoulders, "I'll call you tomorrow when he's ready to come home." she says, attempting to ignore what was just said. 

"Oh, you are keeping him all night? Okay, call me Nova. I'll come to get him and hang out with Maggie for a bit." I tell her loudly enough, hoping that Maggie is listening.

She smiles, "Okay, bye, y'all. Have fun!"

Seth and I exit and stroll down the steps into the truck, "Shit! Seth! That was awful!" I tell him. 

He chuckles, "No, shit! Maggie is pissed off about something." 

"I know she's pissed at me because I haven't called her. I feel so bad. I have to hang out with her tomorrow."