Chapter 18 - Whoops!

TWO MONTHS LATER...

Seth's POV

Things are starting to get a bit easier lately. I haven't gotten out much, but at least I'm not riddled with heartache as before. Dylan and Mariah are headed out of town this evening for her brother's graduation tomorrow, so I'm just going to try to keep busy and find something to do around here. Lately, they have been inviting me over for dinner, I don't expect it, but I guess they have sensed something is up with me. I'm assuming they think it's over spending time with Dylan; they have no clue what happened between Brie and me. 

I pop open a beer and walk over to my dartboard to play some darts when I'm startled as someone enters my garage... Fucking Rachel! I throw my hands up in the air, "What in the heck are you doing here, Rachel?" 

"Well, we need to talk!"

I exhale audibly, "Rachel, I have told you so many times that we are not compatible! How many times do I..."

"I'm pregnant, you moron!" she cries out. 

I stand there, frozen in place. My entire body trembles, "What did you say?"

She crosses her arms in front of her chest, "I said I am pregnant, Seth."

I throw the darts to the floor and approach her with my finger pointed, "You told me that you were on the pill, Rachel!"

She snickers, "Well, I guess it didn't work this time."

"I don't believe you, Rachel!" 

She drops her arms to her side, "Well, believe whatever you want, but you are gonna be a daddy, like it or not!"

"God! Rachel! You are such a conniving woman!"

She begins to sob uncontrollably, "Is that any way to talk to the woman who is carrying your baby?"

"I want a paternity test!" I tell her. 

She wipes the tears from her eyes, "Fine by me. It's all yours. You are the only guy I've been with in over a year anyway."

I stalk back towards my workbench and throw a wrench across the room, "God damn it! This is a fucking nightmare!"

"Well, it's not exactly good news for me, either, Seth! I was supposed to start nursing school in January.  I was trying to save up to buy a car; now I have to save up to buy baby clothes and a crib. I mean, I'm pregnant by a man who despises me; how do you think that makes me feel?"

I spin around and approach her, "If you just would have taken the hint, this never would have happened! Besides, if the test comes back, it's mine, you won't have to worry. I take care of what's mine!"

She sighs aloud, wiping the tears as they roll down her cheeks, "What do you need me to do?"

"Set up the paternity test, and I'll pay for it," I respond quietly. 

"If it's determined you are the father which it will, are you going to be an active participant in all this? Or should I just expect to tell you when the baby comes?" she asks with a snarky undertone.

"Christ, Rachel! Don't be ridiculous! I will be there for whatever I need to be there for, but you and I will never hook up again! Do you hear me?"

She moves in closer, her face inches from mine, "Loud and clear! I wouldn't want to hook up with you anymore anyway, considering how you just acted. I want you to realize one thing; I'm not the only one to blame here. So don't be bad mouthing me around town, do you understand?"

I nod my head, "I would never bad mouth you around town. I don't even talk to anyone outside of Dylan and Mariah, anyway."

She spins around and begins to walk out, "You will be hearing from me tomorrow on the paternity test, so don't be a dickhead to me! I'm only warning you."

I shake my head from side to side, "That's fine, I won't be a dickhead. No more surprise visits, though; you call before you come, got it?"