Chapter 27 - Stay The Night

I'm jolted awake by a warm hand on my shoulder; I glance up to find Seth standing over me. John Luke is quietly snoring against my chest while I have my arms wrapped tightly around him, "Honey, let me take him." He whispers.

"No, that's okay; I'll go lay him down real quick. He had a bad dream, and I was trying to rock him back to sleep. I guess I dozed off too." I respond in a hushed voice. 

I gently push up from the sofa in such a way as to not disturb John Luke and creep into his bedroom to lay him down as Seth follows close behind me. I slowly lower John Luke onto his bed, and he wakes up briefly; squeezing my neck, he calls out, "Mommy." 

I turn back and flash Seth an apologetic look.  His eyes are wide; his mouth is slightly open. I can't help but grimace right now; I realize this is an awkward situation, "I'm so sorry." I whisper to Seth as I lay him down. 

John Luke curls up in the fetal position on his bed, and I tuck him in before gently brushing his hair, "Goodnight, bubby." I whisper. 

I quietly tiptoe out of his bedroom into the living room as Seth follows me, "Do you want me to heat up some spaghetti for you?" I ask as I walk towards the refrigerator.

He nods his head, "That would be great, but I'm still trying to process what my son just called you. He's never called anyone by that name before. I'm not sure where that came from."

I spin around and bashfully place my hands behind my back, "I'm so sorry, Seth; I tried to redirect him. He called me that all day. I never taught him to say that I promise." 

He wraps his arms around me and gently kisses the top of my head, "Oh no, I know you didn't. It's just a shocker. It's almost like he has claimed you already as his mommy."

I begin to tear up, so I bury my face into Seth's shoulder, "Oh, that breaks my heart. He's the sweetest little baby. I already adore him." I tell him. 

He audibly inhales and tightens his grip around me, "Aww... that's so good to hear." 

I break the embrace and wipe the wetness from my eyes with my index finger, "Let me heat you a bowl of spaghetti before I leave."

I turn and begin to walk towards the refrigerator, but he gently tugs my arm, "Stay with me tonight, please." he requests. 

I place my hands on his pecs and gaze up at him, "You want me to stay? Like sleep with the boss?"

He chuckles, "Of course I want you to stay. I love being with you. I hate being away from you."

"Well, I suppose I could stay. I need to grab my overnight bag from Momma's." 

He leans down and plants a kiss on my lips. I run my fingers through his hair as he inserts his tongue into my mouth. I put my tongue out to meet his. He leaves a trail of kisses down my neck as I lean against the kitchen island. I press my hands against his chest, "Whoa stud, you need to eat first; I know you haven't eaten since lunch. While you eat, I'll run and grab my overnight bag, and when I return, we can pick up where we left off; sound good?" 

He nods his head and flashes a cheeky grin, "Whatever you say. You are just so damn irresistible," he says as he eyes the length of my body. 

I grab his hand and lead him to the kitchen table to be seated; then, I heat up a bowl of spaghetti in the microwave for him. He begins to scarf it down, "Yum, I was starved." He mumbles with a mouthful. 

I kiss the top of his head, "I'll be back." I tell him. 

"Don't knock, just come on in; I'll leave it unlocked.  I may be in the shower when you return, baby girl," he says.