Chapter 23 - Pickin Up Where We Left Off

Brie's POV

"The night that Mariah had Georgia, Rachel stopped by after her shift at the hospital just to see how she was doing. I had no part in that; she just showed up on her own accord," he explains. 

I immediately cover my face with my hands, "Oh no!"

"Listen, to me, darlin. I need to get this off my chest, please." He requests. 

I sigh audibly, realizing that I have made a mess of things, "Sure, please go ahead, I'm sorry."

"You drove off; I could tell that you were angry, and I tried calling you several times after that. I left voicemails, but I never got a return call. I don't know what happened and where we went wrong, but I miss you something crazy. I think about you every single minute of every day."

I put my hand out to stop him for a minute, "You have a kid?"

"Rachel came to my place while I was in the garage to make sure I was okay because after you left that last time, I was a mess. She sensed something was up and thought that it was over Dylan having a baby. Well, I figured you hated me, and I was lonely. I told her to have a seat and attempted to make small talk. It was all very innocent at first. Well, she kept pushing, and one thing led to another. We only had sex one time because I was never a big fan of hers. She was a notch below Suzy as far as trouble, in my opinion, but I had a moment of weakness that one night she kept throwing herself at me. I was doing everything in my power to get over you when all I did was imagine that she was you. Hell, I even called out your name afterward because I was convinced it was you. That didn't sit well with her, and she stormed off. She stopped by unannounced and told me she was pregnant two months later, and I had a paternity test done to ensure the child was mine. Sure enough, it came back that he was indeed mine, and well, here we are."

I snicker, "I could tell he was yours the minute I laid eyes on him. The only difference is he has brown hair, and you have black; other than that, he's your twin. He's adorable!"

He sits back and relaxes his shoulders, "Thank you. He's my buddy." 

"So, how did Rachel die, if you don't mind my asking?"

"Postpartum Hemorrhage."

I glance down at my lap, "You poor boys. That is devastating. I am truly sorry for your loss."

He reaches out and takes my hand, "Brie, I'm sorry to spring this on you. I realize you are with someone right now. I don't want to come between you two." 

I lace my fingers through his, "I'm not with anyone." I tell him. 

He perks up and adjusts his tie, "You...You aren't?"

I shake my head from side to side and flash a shy grin, "So I have a confession that will probably make me turn three shades of red telling you this, but I have to say that I couldn't stop thinking about you either. In fact, my college roommate told me that I apparently called out your name every night in my sleep the first year I was there." 

He chuckles as he runs his tongue along his bottom lip. I cross my legs tighter under the table to calm the storm arising between them, "Oh, is that so?" he asks. 

His eyes were boring a hole through me full of carnal desire. Oh shit! I know what that means. The waitress approaches the table, "What can I get you two?"

He nods in my direction, "Go ahead and get anything you want, baby girl." 

"Can I just get a regular coffee, cream, and equal, please?"

The waitress writes down my order, "And for you, sir?"

"Regular coffee, black." 

She nods and flashes a friendly smile, "Easy enough. Comin right up."