Chapter 32 - The New Babysitter

Seth's POV

As we crawl into bed together that night, I wrap my arms around her abdomen and whisper into her ear, "We need to discuss a couple of things." 

She turns around and lays on her back, "Okay."

"So I want you to take some time in Knoxville when you go down to collect your things to think about whether you want to stay home with bub or if you need me to find a new babysitter," I tell her. 

She eyes me curiously and lets out an audible sigh. 

"I know that you just graduated with a degree, and you had a job lined up in Knoxville. I obviously don't want to hold you back by asking you to stay at home with my son." I explain.

She crosses her arms, "It would just be easier if I did stay home with him, wouldn't it?" 

I nod my head, "Yes, it would be easier, but I want you to do what's best for you. If you love staying home with John Luke and you are fine to wait until he's in school before you start hunting down work, then that is fine by me. I make enough to support us both." 

"Well, I just don't want you to be tied down paying my bills." She blurts out. 

"Honey, I promise you; It's not like that. I'd be happy to pay whatever bill you have to stay home with my son. You have made a huge impact on our lives; John Luke and I love you. You don't need to decide today, but let me know your plans when you get back. I do have a lady lined up to babysit if need be. We can test the waters before you leave." 

She fidgets in the bed and faces me, "How do you know this woman?" 

"Well, Nova takes care of the lady's Aunt at the Assisted Living Center. She got the number from her and passed it onto Dylan, and he gave it to me. I can call her and meet up with her this week so she can keep him maybe Friday and Monday. We can gauge how she does on Friday. Mariah is working Monday, and I know you will be gone, so at the very least, she can keep him then. If she does a good job and John Luke seems happy, then we can keep her."  

"I can always take him with me, couldn't I?" she asks curiously. 

"No, sweetie, I don't expect that. You go and do what you need to do." I tell her. 

"I want to meet her." 

I can't help but chuckle, "Okay, I'll call her tomorrow morning and set it up." 

She nods her head, "Oh my God, why does this break my heart the thought of someone else taking care of John Luke?"

"Because you have done so much with him, it's hard to hand him over and let someone else take over that possibly won't live up to the expectation. You know, before you came along, I wished Mariah was a stay at home Mom because I'd pay her to stay at home with John Luke. She's good with him like you are." 

She flips over with her back facing me; I believe that means she's done discussing it, "Would you let me know when we can meet her?" she mumbles softly. 

I leave a trail of kisses down her neck, "Of course." 

"Goodnight, I love you." She says. 

"Goodnight, baby. I love you." 

I reach over and flip the switch on the lamp atop the nightstand. After a while, we drift off to sleep.

The next morning, I get myself up and head out for work like any other morning. On the way in, I pull the number out of my pocket for Frieda Bush, the potential babysitter, and dial the number. It rings a couple of times before she picks up. She answers the phone in a low-pitched raspy voice, "Yeah?"