Chapter 25 - Lunch Date

The next morning, I'm jolted awake by the sun glaring through the blinds. I lay still for a moment and listen as I hear Momma downstairs humming along to a Reba McIntire song on the radio. Just like old times, although this time, it's not annoying to me; in fact, I missed it. I jump up and dash down the steps to watch her prance around the kitchen, "Rise and shine, sleepyhead." She says once she notices me standing in the doorway. 

"Hey Momma, what time is it?"

"Half-past noon," she says. 

I stretch my arms up over my head and yawn, "Lord, I slept a good while." 

"Nothing out of the ordinary for you, dear. You may want to look into a second shift job." She says. 

"Nah... I'm much better, actually. If I worked a second shift job, that would eat up my whole day because I'd get up around this time, go right to work then come home, and stay up late while everyone else is in bed. I want days so I can get on a normal routine." 

She chuckles, "That makes sense." 

"I think I'll go for a jog, Momma." 

She glances up at me, "Lord child, it's a hot one out there today. Are you sure?"

I nod, "Yeah, I'll be fine. I do it all the time in Knoxville."

"Well, take your phone and call me if you wear yourself out. I'll come to get you." 

I spin around and head up the steps, "Alright, Momma." I respond as I dash up the steps. 

I run into my room and slip on my sports bra, leggings, and sneakers before darting back down the steps through the entry and out the door.  

As I sprint down the street, I place my headphones on and listen to my MP3 player. Lord have mercy, it's definitely hot and sticky out this afternoon. I may only run for about an hour today; I'll have to see how I feel. 

I began to sprint down the sidewalk, make my way across town, and figured I'd catch a little shade in the park. After twenty minutes into my run, I dash across the street and begin to run on the trail in the park when suddenly, I come across someone familiar playing with two little kids at the playground. Oh lord, It's Seth! How adorable is this? I jog across the grass and whistle aloud to get his attention. He stops and spins around, flashing a cheeky grin as I run up to him. 

"Hey handsome, I didn't know you were here today," I tell him as I stop in front of him and bend over to catch my breath. 

"Honey, it is hot out today. Why the hell are you running in this weather? You are going to pass out of a heat stroke." 

I pull my towel off my neck and wipe my brow, "I admit, it's not optimal running weather, but I'm used to it. I slept in until half-past twelve. I usually get up about 5:00 am to run." 

He walks away and opens up a cooler with some bottled waters before he returns to me with one in hand, "Here you go. You need to drink that." 

"Thank you; I'm a die-hard runner now. I run in any weather." I reply before I chug the icy cold beverage.

"I can tell, no doubt about it." He blurts out as he eyes the length of my body. 

I start to chuckle. Oh, what the heck, I may have a little bit of fun with him. I pour the water down my sports bra, patting my chest, drawing attention to my rack, "Shewww...mercy." I say. 

He swallows hard and clears his throat, "So, we are going to grab pizza here in about an hour and then ice cream. Do you want to join us?" he asks. 

"I don't mean to crash your party, Seth. I just wanted to come up and say hi." I tell him. 

"You aren't crashing anything, sweetie. I asked you and by the way, thank you for agreeing to save my ass on Monday. I can't say that enough."