Chapter 19 - Unexpected Tragedy

SEVEN MONTHS LATER...

Seth's POV

My phone rings on the kitchen table. I glance at the caller ID to discover it's Rachel, "Hello," I answer.

"Seth, it's time. My water just broke." Rachel blurts out.

My stomach flips, and my entire body trembles. I have dreaded this day since I found out she was pregnant, and my nerves are completely shot, "Okay, so are your parents taking you to the hospital?"

"Yes, Momma has everything loaded into the car."

I sigh audibly, "Okay, I'll meet ya there."

She disconnects the call without saying a word. The two of us haven't been on good terms the entire pregnancy. I hate fighting with her all the time, but we are like oil and water. She wants to control and manipulate me all the time, and we aren't even together. Regardless, I'm having a boy, and his name is John Luke. The kid is definitely mine, according to the paternity test, so she wasn't bullshitting me.

I pick up the phone to notify Dylan that my boy is coming. I dial his number; he picks up on the third ring, "Hey, what's up, buddy?"

"I'm headed to the hospital now. John Luke is coming."

"Oh, boy, congratulations. Let me see if momma can watch Georgia, so Ri and I can meet you there."

"Alright, man, if not, I understand," I respond.

"I'll call ya when I figure out what's going on."

I disconnect the call, grab my keys off the hook next to the door, and head to the hospital. Dylan and Mariah show up about thirty minutes later. The three of us sit out in the waiting room with Rachel's father. It's a bit awkward, but Rachel requested that since we have been fighting so much, she didn't want me in the room; only her mother and older sister, Rebecca, is allowed in there. I can't say that I blame her. Her pops mean mugged me the entire time, and you could cut the tension with a knife; it was so pronounced. Thank God Dylan was there to keep the peace between us; otherwise, it would have gotten ugly.

"I can't wait until this little man gets here. I love babies. I can't wait to hold him." Mariah says.

I snicker as Rachel's father flashes me an evil glare. I readjust myself in my seat. God, Rachel. Please hurry up and have this baby, so I am not forced to stay here with this man. Rachel's father picks up his phone as it rings in his hand, "Hello?" he answers.

He glares up at me as he speaks to someone on the phone. I lean forward and place my head in my hands to avoid his stare. Listen here, pops, I'm taking care of what's mine, but your daughter is the one that pushed herself on me and got us into this mess. God, I wish I could tell him this. Of course, he wouldn't see it that way because that's his daughter and his loyalty lies with her, which is understandable.

He nods his head, "Alright, dear, keep me posted." He says as he disconnects the call.

He gazes up at me, "Rachel is nine centimeters dilated. Should not be too much longer till your son gets here." he says sternly.

I nod my head and glance over at Mariah and Dylan. Mariah is overcome with excitement, "Oh my goodness, Aunt Mimi can't wait to see you, John Luke."

Dylan chuckles as he diverts his attention from Mariah to me, "Good luck, prying that baby out of Ri's hands, buddy."

I shake my head and continue to stare at the floor. My whole life is going to change for good. I can't believe this is happening right now. It's not my son's fault, though. I will make sure that he knows he's loved no matter what happens between myself and his mother.