Chapter 40 - Wedding Day

The next morning, I wake up from my slumber to the sound of Georgia running down the hallway towards the bathroom. Mariah tiptoes out of the bedroom and smiles as she sees me sitting up on the sofa, rubbing my eyes, "Good Morning, sleeping beauty. Today is your big day!"

My stomach turns, and I feel so nauseated, I hang my head in my hands, "Oh Colie, I feel very nauseous." I tell her. 

"I'll go pour you some ginger ale; that might help. Go use my bathroom if you need to," she responds. 

I hop up and dash for her master bathroom, and I barely make it to the toilet bowl before partially digested remnants of fettuccine alfredo spew out of my mouth into the toilet. 

I hang my head over the toilet for a moment, collecting myself before coming out into the living room. Stacy sits up when she notices me entering, "Are you okay, preggers?" she asks jokingly. 

"Yes, I am. Just morning sickness. It will pass." I tell her. 

Mariah begins cooking breakfast for us. Stacy and I walk into the kitchen and sit down at the kitchen table with Georgia. 

Mariah sets a glass of ginger ale in front of me, "Here ya go, Momma. Drink up." She orders me. 

I slowly sip on the ginger ale and make conversation with everyone. Moments later, Mariah sets a plate in front of Georgia with a banana chocolate chip pancake and a sausage link; then, she serves Stacy a plate next. The two girls begin scarfing down the breakfast before me, and I can hardly stomach the smell, let alone try to eat it, "Do you want some toast, Brie?" she asks me. 

I nod my head, "Yeah, I think toast would be a better option for me right now." 

Stacy chuckles, "Too bad because your cousin's pancakes are killer." She says with a mouth full of the half masticated food. 

Mariah makes me a piece of buttered toast before serving herself a plate of pancakes and sausage before sitting down to eat with us. 

After breakfast, we all get ready to head to Momma's house for the big day. She had a large party tent delivered in case the weather turned, along with metal chairs and tables delivered this morning. I know her; Hank and Nova are busy setting them up as we speak. She picked up our dresses at the bridal shop for us yesterday as well, so that's one less thing we have to haul over there. 

We arrive at Momma's house around 11:00 am. The wedding is set to start at around 1:30 pm. Maggie meets us over there at the house as we arrive, and we all gather in my room to get ready together. Mariah is in charge of our hair and makeup, and she begins with Maggie, Stacy, and Georgia first, leaving me for last. Mariah does such a beautiful job on everyone's makeup and hair that I'm so excited to see what she plans to do with mine. The girls help each other slip into their dresses while Mariah fixes my hair and makeup. 

After she's done, the girls help me slip into my dress. I bought a beautiful lacy mermaid style long sleeve wedding dress with a low cut back. My bouquet is a beautiful assortment of red and pink roses. The bridesmaid and flower girl dresses are perfection. Momma enters my room to check in on us, and she is overcome with emotion the moment she lays eyes on us, "Oh my God! Mariah. You did such a wonderful job on the girls; they are stunning!" she says as she wraps her arms around Mariah. 

"I think I could start a side business here," Mariah says jokingly. 

"Absolutely," Momma says as she sets her sights on me. She approaches me and pulls me in for an embrace, "Sweetheart, I have a few surprises for you." She says. 

I wait anxiously as she begins to explain, "So you know the wedding tradition that we need something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?" she asks.