Chapter 45

Brad kissed Elisa on the cheek and she bounded off towards her class. He smiled after her and began walking to his own class. Joe caught up to him.

"Hey Delsino."

"What?"

"Uh. Have you seen Mike? I waited for him by our spot but he never showed." Then he punched Brad in the shoulder. "I waited for you too, you butt!"

Brad scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, sorry I told Elisa I'd bring her to school." Joe chuckled at him.

"Back together huh?" Joe asked. Brad smiled and nodded.

"She finally realized Bennington and Bourdon were the ones who started all the rumors." Joe hummed and nodded.

"Ah, well... Congrats?"

Brad smiled. "I'm just glad she finally came around. I wasn't gonna let this get ruined again."

"Are you asking her to prom?" Joe asked. It was his turn to smile. "I think I know who I'm gonna ask."

"Duh Joe, it's not senior year without taking a girl to prom."

The warning bell rang and both boys looked around for any hall monitors. "I'll see you third period Delsi-"

"Don't call me Delsino."

Joe snickered. "Oh alright Delson." He waved goodbye and hopped off down the hall. Brad turned, his class was only 2 doors away. He wished Elisa had this class with him. Instead, he had Rob and Mike. Mike, he didn't mind, but there was something off with him lately. He despised the idea that he had any classes with Rob and Chester. It wasn't until third period that Brad had Chester in class. For now, he had to deal with Rob's presence. Much to his dismay, Rob decided to show up early to school. He had already made himself comfortable in his desk, smiling at his phone and texting. Brad wanted to scoff, knowing fully well it was Chester he was texting.

He made it a point to pass Rob's desk on his way to his own desk. The desk in front of Rob was empty. Weird. Mike usually walked with Brad and Joe, but Joe had even said he never showed. Then he passed Rob. He was definitely texting Chester by the look of the top of the screen. It read "Chaz." Then Brad noticed Rob's collar bone. There was a fading purple-green mark on it. A cramp hit Brad's chest and he couldn't ignore it. Suddenly, images of Chester biting and kissing Rob's neck popped into Brad's head. He sat in his desk, staring at the back of Rob's head.

Rob seemed so fine now. The entire week after Brad told Rob off, the boy had been sulking around behind Chester. Then all of a sudden, Rob showed up all smiles one Monday, acting all lovey dovey with Chester. Sudden realization hit Brad. Rob and Chester...they had--

"Good morning students! We'll have a partner project today so please-" The door opened and Mike peeked in.

"Did I make it?"

The teacher sighed, disappointed. "Just barely Michael. Take a seat. And I'll choose your partner, since you were late." Mike quietly sat in his desk and slouched over. He wore a hoodie, despite it being nearly ninety degrees out. He kept pulling it up around his neck. "Hmm, you'll be with Rob." Rob's head snapped up and he suddenly looked uncomfortable.

Mike's head snapped up too. Brad eyed them both. Maybe they were excited to be paired, but it didn't seem that way to Brad.

***

"Erm, twenty six."

Mike's desk was turned around facing Rob's. He wrote down Rob's answer on his paper. They were the first ones finished, but neither boys rose their hands. Mike gulped and continued to look down at the sheet of calculus. Rob sensed the discomfort coming from his friend.