Flight of The Fat Lady/15

You let go of Fred and smiled up at him, you really did miss him, even if you were to stubborn to realize it. 

"Shall we?" Fred said, holding out his arm, for you to take.

"We shall." You smiled, lacing your arm with his.

The two of you caught up with the rest of your friends, and walked along the usual path to the Gryffindor tower, but when you reached the corridor that ended with the portrait of the Fat Lady, it was jammed with students.

"Why isn't anyone going in?" said Lee curiously.

"The portrait isn't open." George said, peering over the heads in front of him.

"Let me through, please," came Percy's voice, as he came busting through the crowed. "What's the holdup here? You can't all have forgotten the password- excuse me, I'm Head Boy-" 

"Bloody hell," Fred groaned, trying to push past his older brother "whats going on?" 

There was a moment of silence, that seemed to spread down the corridor until you heard Percy say, in a suddenly sharp voice, "Somebody get Professor Dumbledore. Quick!" 

You tried to see what was going on, but the twins were standing in front of you, blocking your view. 

"Whats happening?" said Angelina, holding on to George's arm. 

A moment later, Professor Dumbledore was there, sweeping toward the portrait; the Gryffindors squeezed together to let him through, and  You, Fred, George, Lee, and Angelina moved closer to see what the trouble was. 

"Oh, my-" Angelina gasped 

The Fat Lady had vanished from her portrait, which had been slashed so viciously that strips of canvas littered the floor; huge chunks of it had been torn away completely.

Dumbledore took one quick look at the ruined painting and turned, his eyes somber, to see Professor McGonagall, Lupin and Snape hurrying towards him. 

"We need to find her," said Dumbledore. "Professor McGonagall, please go to Mr.Filch at once and tell him to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady." 

"You'll be lucky!" said a cackling voice you recognized too well. 

It was Peeves the Poltergeist, bobbing over the crowed and looking delighted, as he always did, at the sight of the wreckage and worry. 

"What do you mean, Peeves?" said Dumbledore calmly, and Peeves's grin faded a little. He didn't dare taunt Dumbledore. Instead he adopted a oily voice that was no better than his cackle.

"Ashamed, Your Headship, sir. Doesn't want to be seen. She's a horrible mess. Saw her running through the landscape up on the fourth floor, sir, dodging  between the trees. Crying something dreadful," Peeves said happily. "Poor thing," he added unconvincingly.

"Did she say who did it?" said Dumbledore quietly.

"Oh yes, Professorhead," said Peeves, acting as one cradling a large bombshell in his arms. "He got very angry when she wouldn't let him in, you see." Peeves flipped over and grinned at Dumbledore from between his own legs. "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black." 

Your heart dropped at the last words, and you froze in place. He was in the castle, and you were powerless to stop him. Fred must have sensed your fear, because he grabbed your hand, lacing his fingers with yours as Dumbledore ordered all Gryffindors back to the Great hall. 

All the Gryffindors followed Percy down to the Great hall. About ten minutes later you were joined by Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw, who all looked extremely confused.