Chapter #29: Proximity

--- In someplace near Wellston ---

In this peaceful night, a young woman woke up from her peaceful dreaming because she heard some weird noise inside the house.

It was 2 AM at the moment she looked at the clock, but the noises weren't stopping, so, the light red-haired woman gets up, and went to check that noise.

Thieves weren't something weird at all, especially because there are people with sneaky abilities out there, and thus, as she knew this fact, she activated her ability first before going.

When she arrived at the source of the noises, the lights were off, and she saw a big figure in the kitchen, which couldn't recognize immediately, and thus, she got closer.

- "Oh, it's you, bro, you freaked me out for a second." She said when she recognized that his brown skin and the light red hair of her older brother.

- "Why are you up so late? And why did you had the lights off?" She asked him.

- "The light bulb died just now, and I have to go cover a shift, work stuff, sorry for waking you up." He answered a bit annoyed because of this sudden work issue.

- "I was just preparing me some sandwiches for later." He added.

- "I see..." She replied.

Then, the man continued preparing his snack before going out to work, at this unusual hour.

- "But you don't have subordinates to cover shifts? I mean you're the boss of that new department, what was it, Emergency Bureau of...?-" She asked before getting interrupted.

- "It doesn't matter if you don't remember it, is classified after all, and also I don't have a replacement for this specific subordinate, since it's a dangerous and confidential job, I can't just send anybody, you know?" He defused the situation.

- "And nobody else is qualified to do it, neither in power or confidentiality, so I have to do it myself." He added, a bit annoyed for leaving his home this late.

- "That sucks, but you can change jobs whenever you want, though." She commented.

- "You know I can't, I couldn't be able to do something like that to him, after everything he has done for us, I owe him." He said, remembering a distant memory from his savior.

- "Yeah... but still, consider that option, okay? You might be strong, but you never know who will you face." She suggested, worried about her brother's safety.

- "Take care of yourself, okay? You're the only family I have left, and I don't want to lose you because of some random criminal." She said with a worried tone.

- "I'm gonna be okay, I'm strong, you know that, so go back to sleep." He said, trying to cheer her up.

- "Yeah, take care." She said while going out of the kitchen.

Then, the man went out of the house, and his sister went back to sleep.

--- Wellston Town, on the next day ---

As the sunlight was bathing the scenery in this peaceful morning, people were doing their own thing, shopping, hanging out, or simply just taking a walk.

Just like Remi and Isen, who were going out to simply eat something this weekend, normally, they would go out with Blyke too, but he was sleeping like a lodge.

- "Sorry I couldn't wake up that lazy bum, Remi, I guess he hasn't been able to sleep well lately." Said Isen.

- "Don't worry, Isen, we can grab lunch first and we can just get some burgers for him, is the least we can do." Remi replied.