Chapter 13 - Delving Into Dhulka Nafta.

Snow slowly started to build up, creating a puffy blanket of white fluff on the cold earth. Thick light gray clouds covered the entire sky everyday, from horizon to horizon. Gushes of icy wind shook the treetops, causing the branches to rattle and creek eerily.

Saber, Stello and the Dark Lord all found a cave in which they made a new temporary home. It was large and relatively long, with water dripping down the cracks in the walls. It gave the two alicorns something to drink, and also sheltered them from the increasing snowfalls.

Stello lightened up the fire, using his magic to burn a bundle of broken branches he found nearby. At the same time, Saber and the Dark Lord went over what would happen in Dhulka Nafta, or, the Land of Souls. The colt asked questions and took his time to plan, ensuring that he was ready for the dangerous journey. Despite all the precautions, he couldn't actually find out much, as the Dark Lord seemed to be quite secretive about it.

"I think I am ready. How do I open the portal?" Saber wondered, listening to the wind that howled and whistled outside like a ghastly wolf.

The Dark Lord's shadowy distorted body rested against the colder rocky cave wall. He looked at Stello first, and then at Saber, replying in his cold raspy voice. "It is a simple spell, yet it requires great precision." He said. "It is similar to the rune spell I taught you, but the technique differs."

Saber nodded and stood up, walking around in a circle. It helped him focus, as well as warm up. "Got it." He said softly.

The Dark Lord then entered Saber's mind, which allowed him to share his knowledge with the colt. He projected the spell and its process into Saber's head, giving him enough time to memorise it. When they were done, the Dark Lord left the colts mind, and waited patiently for Saber to start.

Saber shook his head and frowned, trying to focus on what he just learned. It was indeed simple, but casting the magic in such a precise way did indeed make it not as easy as it seemed.

The colt aimed his horn at a flat area on the wall. He focused on the spell he wanted to cast, in result causing his horn to start beaming with dark magic. His eyes turned green, and they emitters streaks of swirling purple mist.

The magic from his horn swirled towards the wall, and started painting an intricate design onto it. It closely resembled a rune, except that it was a large oval in shape, instead of a circle. Saber cast a few unknown words onto the forming portal, unsure of what they mean. He was pleased to see them work though, noticing how the portal started to open up, eventually looking like a swirling hole of black, purple and green magic.

When Saber was finished, he exhaled deeply and wiped his forehead from sweat. Stello sat there behind him, admiring the colts skill with dark magic, and the Dark Lord simply waited patiently for them to move on.

"Do you need a rest, Saber?" The Dark Lord wondered, trying to assess how much longer this will have to take.

Saber panted and looked at the shadow. "Just a little one. Give me a few minutes." He said breathlessly.

The Dark Lord nodded and slithered up closer to the portal, inspecting it carefully. He felt somewhat nostalgic, wishing he was able to enter that realm.

Saber tilted his head as he noticed the Dark Lord looking closely at the portal. "Will you be able to go in there with me?" The colt wondered.

"I cannot unfortunately, you must venture alone this time." The Dark Lord replied.

Saber sighed, wishing he had company for this journey. He knew this was no time for being upset though, and he had to focus on the mission. He looked at the swirling portal, noticing how it made a soft growling sound as the magic swirled inside it.