Chapter 16 - Haunting Past.

3rd Person POV

Crystal Empire

ⵔ--------ⵔ

It was the middle of the night, when Saber watched his father and mother disappear in a bright flash of familiar crimson light. He panted angrily, staring at the empty road ahead of himself. Stello walked up to the colt and tapped his shoulder gently in a comforting manner.

"Hey you did it Saber. You got the Empire just like the Dark Lord wanted." Stello pointed out, as he watched a few dozen confused guards gather around them.

Saber groaned and shrugged. "But he took mom! I did so much just to have her back, and he took her away from me!" The colt squeaked, stopping his hoof angrily.

Stello sighed and looked at the huge castle ahead. "She will be back eventually. Especially now that the Crystal Empire is yours..." Stello pointed out again, with a smirk.

Saber looked up and also looked at the castle, for a moment feeling very happy until he noticed all of those guards around. "Yeah, although they might need a bit of convincing first..." Saber mumbled uncertainly.

Stello nodded and then walked up to the crystal heart. He watched the precious artefact with awe, as it glistened with all it's power. "Well they can't really do anything without this..." He said, placing his hoof on the crystal.

Saber gasped and ran up to Stello, pushing the older alicorn out of the way. "Noo! Don't touch it!" Saber exclaimed. "If you remove it, the entire Empire will end up under a mile tall pile of snow!" Saber warned quickly.

Stello raised his eyebrows and chuckled nervously. "Oh, right I forgot about that part... It has been too long since I last lived here." He muttered.

"So how are we supposed to get the crystal heart like the Dark Lord wanted?" Saber asked, sounding somewhat frustrated with it.

Just after this question, a familiar cold and raspy voice echoed in the street. "Do you not know how your father kept the Empire protected when he hid away the crystal heart?" The Dark Lord questioned.

Saber brought his hood up to his chin as he looked around, trying to find the shadow. "No, he never told me much about that time..." Saber replied awkwardly, feeling as though he should have known the answer.

"Hmm, yes, he has not..." The Dark Lord agreed. "He used a protection spell himself, I believe it may be in one of the dark magic books he has hidden away in the castle."

"He has...?!" Saber repeated, sounding quite surprised.

"Yes. You Stello, stay here and make sure the crystal heart remains unused. Saber, you follow me." The Dark Lord ordered.

Saber nodded and looked at Stello, who nodded aswell. The colt then followed the Dark Lord into the castle, whilst his uncle remained on guard outside.

"How do you know where the books are? How do you even know about them?" Saber wondered curiously, as he followed the slithering shadow through the castle gates.

The Dark Lord chuckled softly as he lead the colt through the dim hallways. They seemed cold and empty without Sombras presence, Saber thought.

"A Pegasus or Earth pony is weak, unable to fend their mind with magic. They are most vulnerable to my power, and I can read them like a book. I have read your mothers mind before, so I know a little more about her than she thinks. Which is why I also know where the books are hidden." The Dark Lord explained calmly, as he turned around a few corners, eventually arriving at the dungeon door.