Erik Imagine- 3.1

There were bodies beginning to pile up form both inside of our walls but the community that lay just outside of it: men who died fighting, as well as others caught in the crossfire. Women who lived in the camp just behind the walls would mourn their husbands and sons in the mornings, I thought as I walked past, and I shall be at their sides, I vowed to myself.
     "We must walk to the camp." Erik stated after a second. "I must find my brother and, if I know him, he shall be with the warriors in the camp." He gave me a soft smile. "You do not have to come, if you do not want-"
     "No, Erik, I will." He could tell I was hesitant but took my words. He kissed my hand as we made our way towards the flickering torches that lined the village.
    I was not scared to go there, at least not because of the death. Death did not scare me any longer. I was scared to look into the eyes of the women who had lost their sons and husbands, while I still had mine, and to have to sympathise with them despite not knowing what they were going through. It scared me that I could let them down.
     "Ingrid." I called out as we entered the village. My friend turned to me and we embraced. "Are you okay? Your children?"
    "They are safe, yes, thank you, Y/N." She breathed. "And I am okay- I am unharmed." She gave my hand an encouraging squeeze. "Are you?" She asked, making me almost laugh.
    "I would have no reason to not be alright. I have Erik and he is all I could ever need." I proclaimed. The brunette woman giggled at my romantics, glad to see that my sense of humour hadn't been snatched during the raid.
     We talked for a little while longer before I saw Erik return in a hurried fashion, a grim face. I caught his arm, making him stop still and look at me. He could already see what I was going to ask and so just sighed and rubbed the back of his head.
    "The back row caught fire." He began, making me suck in a breath. "There is much mess to clear up, with many, unfortunately lost to the flames." He didn't need to say the rest. I could see everything in his eyes. Slowly, I leaned up to kiss his cheek, whispering that everything would be alright. "There is not much we can do tonight for many are to weak with tiredness to help clear the ashes." He explained, a slight crack in his voice. His people- his community- meant a lot to Erik and  I knew this devastation would take a toll on him, even if he wouldn't outwardly show it.
     "In which case we should all rest." I suggested, a soft smile on my face. Just as I turned away from my husband, I noticed a small blonde-haired figure sitting next to a pile of straw, their knees pulled into their chest. "Erik, look." I breathed. Before he could respond, I made my way over to the child, caution in my steps as I got closer. Now, I could see it was a girl, no older than two years old ans slowly, I crouched down to her level and waited for her to look up to me with frightened blue eyes.
    "Hello." I greeted her in Danish. "What's your name?" I asked her. By now, Erik was stood behind me, looking down at the little girl, the same concerne in his heart. "Can you tell me your name?" I asked again in Danish.
"Halli." She sniffled, rubbing her red nose with her hand. She was shivering, although whether that was from fear or the cold was the question but, either way, it made my heart sink into my chest.
"Who is she, do you know, Erik?" I turned to face my husband. He sighed deeply.
"The daughter of one of Bjartun's cousins." He said, sadly. "They had just come to reside her a few days ago, from their homeland."
"Do not tell me they-"
"Yes." He nodded sadly. My eyes glanced over at the pile of black that was visible from all around the camp. The burnt remains of what had been people's houses.
"Was there-"
He just shook his head. I closed my eyes, silently hoping that they didn't suffer during the fire. When I opened them, I found the girl's sweet eyes looking at me and, at that moment, I decided to take care of her. I opened out my arms and motioned for her to come towards me and she gladly did, holding onto me like I would be taken away at any second.
"It is okay, Halli." I soothed the girl who sniffled against my shoulder. Erik too now crouched down to comfort the sweet girl, rubbing her back as gently as he could. "You are safe now, my child." I whispered to her. She nodded against my shoulder, clearly understanding me, looking up to me with tears eyes. "Do not cry, you shall be alright." I encouraged her, wiping away the few falling tears with my thumb. Not, in any way thinking, I picked her up and rested her on my hip, an arm underneath her legs to make sure she didn't fall from me. She nuzzled her head into my shoulder, clearly tired and rested against me.
"She must be hungry and cold and exhausted." My husband observed. He used his index zinger to push a strand of her hair back, allowing up both to see the fright in her eyes now starting to fade to exhaustion. I kissed the girl's head softly, whispering to her for her to try to sleep and that she would be safe. My husband had the same look that I had, with the same heartache and concern for Halli's safety as I did.
     "I do not know what we shall do with her." My husband said, looking around. He breathed deeply, running his hand through his hair. He was quiet for a moment before he spoke up. "Bjartun shall not be able to look after her." He shook his head. "She has no other family here."
    "Erik." I breathed softly, placing my free hand to his arm. "She is ours now, can you not see." I gave him a sweet yet begging look. "There is nobody else who can care for her or so would care for her. We shall be her parents now." He nodded in silent agreement. I could tell that he felt the strange feeling of odd care for this stranger and that he wanted to protect her in the same way he would our own children. Her name would be Halli Erikdottir from now on and everyone would know it, once the dust had settled and our community was rebuilt.
    "Come, my love, it is getting far to cold out here for you and Halli. You must both rest." My husband insisted. The little girl on my side was not yet asleep and looked up to Erik with tired blue eyes. He smiled at the girl before brushing her hair from her face so she could see him better. "Here, let me carry her." My husband held out side arms for the young girl and gently took her from me, carrying her close to him, holding her in his arms to make sure that she was safe. Immediately, she rested her head on his shoulder.
"Where shall she sleep?" My husband asked as he opened the door to our room.
"In our bed." I replied. Carefully, he handed the sleeping girl to me and I placed her down in the middle of the big bed, pushing the sheets back so that Halli was covered and warm.
"You shall teach her bad habits." My husband warned, jokingly.
"It is one night." I sat next to her and stroked her head softly, lulling her fully to sleep. My husband just chuckled before shutting the door to our room and heading to sit in the other side of the bed. "You do not mind, do you?"
"Of course not, my dear," he kissed my lips for a moment, "our daughter needs to sleep." He smiled, innocently.