Chapter 17

" ...... i have taken care of you now it is time for someone to start paying me some attention and taking care of me too ... "
- Chris Brown

* Kyler *

[ 2 Days ]

I haven't spoke to Kyla since the day I left . She's a grown woman . At the end of the day , Kyla's gonna do what Kyla wants to do .

" Alright to the shower you guys " I said huddling all the kids together . Right now , I had Maya , Mia , Kam , King , and surprisingly Jewel this time at the house getting them ready for school .

Emerald never really brought Jewel around . I guess it's because they live 45 minutes away . I don't blame her .

" I'm a big girl , I can bathe on my own " 7 year old , Jewel said .

I frowned , I've been bathing her her entire life . Why all of a sudden does she have a change at heart ?

" I've been bathing you so much recently . What's so different bout now ? " I asked her .

She looked down and played with her fingers . " I don't know . I just ...... I just want to bathe myself .

I bent down to her level .
" Now Jewel , you know you can tell me anything and everything . Is someone hurting you ? " I asked her .

She sighed and raised up her shirt to reveal a big purple bruise . I gasped and touched it to see how swollen it was but she jerked away .

" I should've never showed you . Now you're gonna overreact , I just fell off the swing . Lets hurry so you won't be late for your job " Jewel took my hand and led me to the bathroom where the rest of the kids were .

" I love you auntie " Each kid said as I dropped them off followed by an ' I love you too ' from me .

I went up to my floor and unlocked my office .

I flicked on my light and was immediately surprised at the decorations and the smiles of co-workers .

A large banner read
" Welcome Back " . " Woah what's all this for ? " I asked setting my purse and briefcase down .

" What do you mean what's this for ? We're welcoming you back to work . We all missed you and your work " Linda said standing next to me .

" And there's a special guest here to see you " John said stepping to the side revealing Simone .

" Simone ? What are you doing here ? Does your mother know you're here ? " I asked .

She shook her head
" Today's my birthday . I'm 11 . My mommy paid me no attention today . So I thought what better gift is there than to see my favorite person in the whole wide world " She cheesed and hugged me tightly .

Why was this girl so attached to me ? We've only known each other for about 2-3 months . I'm surprised she doesn't hate me , considering the fact my marriage to her " father " is what's keeping them from being a family she longs for .

" If you don't want me here , I'll leave " Simone said .

" No . Not at all . It's just - We'll speak in the car already sweetie " I stroked her hair and then confined to my subtle welcoming party .

Some hours , broken families , and counseling later it was time to go .

" Let's talk now Simone " I said and she sat in front of my desk . " Simone you are a very intelligent smart
girl - "

" I'm not stupid Kyler . Don't butter me up just to let me down . Just break it to me now "

I was taken back by her words but I cleared my throat " These little pop up visits have to be stopped . You're a little girl . It's too dangerous for you to be walking the streets an taking the bus . And plus I'm sure your mother would be fuming knowing that you run away to some she already dislikes " I explained .