C48: ☆The Path Towards the End☆

"Nao-sama, you... you're actually quite good at medicine?" The Insect Pillar, Shinobu Kochou said with disbelief as she watched the black haired beauty grind herbs in silence.

After their conversation, Nao became much quiet and subservient.

'Nao-sama, would you like to eat?'

'Yes.'

'What food would you like?'

'Anything.'

'Is there a food called anything?'

'I don't know. '

She would give short answers when questioned but overall, Nao kept herself busy by staying at the Insect Pillar's workroom.

There were all manners of poison in the cupboard. Nao knew most of them. There were also medicines and antidotes. She knows about those too.

If she was going to hide, then she could atleast make herself useful.

"I like to read when I was young." This was Nao's only explanation. How else could she have read about the Blue Spider Lily? At one point, she grew tired of her weak body and started to read countless books of medicine just to make herself feel better.

They weren't enough. Not until she drank that blue liquid in such a naive manner.

Demon's blood.

Nao closed her eyes. Who knew that such a bizarre ingredient would rid her of the curse plaguing her body?

"Nao-sama, if you're tired, you can rest. You aren't here to work. You're supposed to be recovering." Shinobu used a tone that indicated she was talking to a patient.

"And it isn't a secret, Nao-sama. The curse in your body...working like this must be burdening you. Please let me handle this and-"

"I'm not cursed."

"Ah... pardon?"

Nao bit her lip before speaking again, much louder.

"I don't have a cursed body anymore."

"Ah... But that can't be? All of the people in the Ubuyashiki household have cursed bodies that makes them unable to live past thirty. Even Oyakata-sama right now is showing-- Ahem! I mean, it's simply hard to believe, Nao-sama. This is so sudden..."

Of course it would be hard to believe. A disease that was inherited from the Ubuyashiki line would be near impossible to disappear or cure because it is a curse.

Nao didn't say anything more. What would they do if they found out that she drank demon blood?

'Ah... But I'm not a demon. Atleast not yet?'

'And do I really have the right to withhold information right now?'

Nao clenched her hands. "An examination. A full body examination. Do it."

"Y-Yes? A checkup?" This was the first time Nao has spoken in an authoritative tone. Her eyes were blank and detached but her tone was firm and left no room for argument.

Shinobu hurriedly closed the door.

"Then I'll do as you ask, Nao-sama."

Nao dropped the hairpin from her hair, allowing her long black hair to fall.

♤♡◇♧

"I'm glad. "

Nao didn't answer. What was she supposed to say?

"You won't have to suffer like me anymore."

That made Nao flinch.

"Mimi..." Kagaya said in her brotherly tone.

"I can't see you anymore. I can't see the expression on your face. I don't even know how much you've grown. It's only been a few days but my eyesight..."

Nao remained quiet, the implication of his words wasn't that hard to deduce.

"What must I look to you? I didn't want to show you this. My appearance right now is ugly. "Even though he was speaking in a soft tone, there was a hint of sadness in his voice.

"In a few more weeks, I might not be able to move my limbs."

Nao covered her mouth and tried to stop her body from shaking.

"I would be unable to regain my eyesight anymore. I would never be able to see your face again. I would soon find myself lying on a bed as I await the end of my life. This is the fate that awaits me." Kagaya outstretched his right palm.

"That's why... I want to touch your face one last time and if you would let me, I would also like to hold my sister's hand."

Sister. What a powerful word. Nao stood up quietly and walked forward before sitting down in front of him in the seiza position.

She did not hold his hand.

"Ah..." He gasped.

He touched her face, felt the fresh tear tracks on her cheeks and the frown on her lips. His fingers brushed against her skin and felt the overwhelming sadness she felt.

"Mimi. You've grown so much." Kagaya said.

"You've grown so much without me."

Kagaya smiled. He never heard her speak or respond but the fresh batch of tears on her face was enough to convey her message.

I missed you. I missed you so much.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

And...

I have something to tell you.

♤♡◇♧

Kamado Tanjiro comes face-to-face with the nine most powerful Demon Slayers: Tomioka Giyuu (Water Pillar, Shinobu Kochou (Insect Pillar, Kyojuro Rengoku (Flame Pillar), Uzui Tengen (Sound Pillar), Mitsuri Kanroji (Love Pillar), Muichiro Tokito (Mist Pillar), Gyomei Himejima (Rock Pillar), Obanai Iguro (Serpent Pillar), and Shinazugawa Sanemi (Wind Pillar).

They intend to put Tanjiro on trial due to his violation of the Demon Slayer Corps rules by travelling with a demon, even if she is his sister.

"There's no need for a trial! Protecting a demon is against corps rules!" The Flame Pillar said.

"Nezuko! Nezuko doesn't eat humans!"

Tanjiro states she won't eat humans and can fight with the Demon Slayers to protect humans. Sanemi comes outside with Nezuko in her box, calling him deluded and stabs through the box and into Nezuko's shoulder.

"You bastard-!"

Tanjiro charges him and Giyuu calls out that the Master will soon be here and to stop, which startles Sanemi, giving Tanjiro and opening to head-butt him and knock him to the ground, putting himself between the box and Sanemi, which impresses the Hashira.

Chaos further ensues but it is Kagaya's sudden appearance that catches all the pillar's attention and they immediately kneel in front of him with his haste.

The pale man smiled without showing his lips as two young girls with white hair accompany him.

"Thank you for attending this twice a year pillar meeting. "