C47: ☆Between Them and You☆

Huffing, going faster, weaving through the crowd and countless bodies emitting different kinds of odor yet this unique and lingering smell. He knows this smell better than anyone.

'It's that smell that was lingering at my house!'

Fiercely, almost ouf of breath, he charges through and grabs a man on his shoulder. His free hand was holding the hilt of his sword, ready for combat.

The moment those red eyes turned tp gaze at him. There was only one thing that came onto his mind.

'Muzan Kibutsuji!'

♤♡◇♧

"Here you go, Nao-sama! I brought all of these books for you! Oyakata-sama said you like to read so I hope this will help you past the time!"

Nao nodded. "Thank you."

"It's nothing! I simply hope that by doing something you like, Nao-sama would be able to recover faster! Reading often eases one's mind and calms the soul. I hope Nao-sama will finally calm down." Dark purple eyes narrowed into a smile as the Insect Pillar continued speaking.

"..Because Nao-sama is angry, right?"

Another set of light lavender eyes moved.

"Angry?" It sounded like a question.

"Well, of course! It's only normal for people to get angry! I know this emotion quite well. I'm sure its hard for Nao-sama.."Shinobu said in an understanding tone. "You can't help but get mad at the people who wronged you. So I'm telling Nao-sama that it's okay to get mad. You have every right to be mad."

'I'm mad..? Angry?' Nao thought to herself.

"No." She answered.

"I'm sad. "Nao isn't mad. She's sad, disappointed, and too guilty to be mad. She isn't shameless enough to blame everything on him. She was at fault too.

"Is that so? Then forgive me for assuming. "

There was no need to apologize. She was worried about Nao. What's there to apologize when you're worrying about a person?

"Yui." Nao said. "Where's Yui?"

"Ah." Shinobu sighed. "Nao-sama.. I'm afraid I can't answer that. "

Why not? Nao wanted to ask. Did something happen? Yui.. Where is she?

"But I will still tell you since you deserve to know. I was told not to tell you yet because they said you were in a fragile state of mind but I believe that Nao-sama is strong. "Shinobu smiled with her eyes closed. The pretty pale face beauty then opened her eyes and immediately turned serious.

"I was told to let Nao-sama stay in the Butterfly Estate for as long as you want because Nao-sama would be unable to return to her mansion. I'm sure it was a beautiful mansion since Nao-sama lived there and you cherished that place."

Was? Cherished? That place? Nao did not cherish that place. She always thought it was a prison that further hindered her weak body. Though when it comes to memories, she really can't deny the fact that she made a lot of happy memories there even though she felt trapped and alone.

"And I'm sure Yui-san would agree. She was very devoted to the Ubuyashiki household and I'm sure she was very important to you, Nao-sama."

Nao's eyes dilated. Her hands were shaking again.

"And I'm sure that Yui-san was also happy that she was able to serve by your side. She blamed herself the day you disappeared."

'Ah..a..h...' Nao's mind was spinning and becoming a hazy blur.

"Yui.. Yui.." Nao repeated.

"Where's Yui?"

"....."

Shinobu Kochou, the Insect Pillar could only smile sadly in silence.

"Ah!" Nao screeched.

♤♡◇♧

"You are going to die. Make use of your meaningless existence and tell me where she is."

The woman in her thirties was desperately gasping for air as she stared fearfully at the pair of red eyes that resembled the devil's.

No. This person is the devil.

He was the one who took her.

"A...a..h.." It was supposed to be a cold night yet the temperature in the mansion was hotter than the temperature in summer.

Swirls of red and orange were mixing in her vision as ashes and smoke covered the air, makong her eyes more watery.

"Where?" The man in suit asked again. His voice was cold, devoid of any emotion and it was obvious that he was looking down on her as if she was beneath his existence.

Her throat was bruised and she felt as if her neck would break is he exert force on his hand any further.

"Y..you..took h..er." She managed to answer before the same red eyes narrowed darkly.

In the blink of an eye, blood mixed with ashes and smoke, staining the walls and floor as one person disappeared into the night.

♤♡◇♧

"Nothing was left?" Kagaya asked in a soft tone.

"Yes.. It was burned to the ground. We found no traces of any corpse but there was a strong smell of blood in the air when we arrived."

"I see... Thank you for informing me. You may go."

"Yes..."

Once he was alone, Kagaya couldn't help but look at the direction of the Butterfly Estate.

For so many days, weeks and months, he struggled to cope with the fact that Nao might not be alive. That she might have been eaten or turned into a demon. But his senses were telling him that was not the case.

Nao was still alive.

He could feel it.

Even though a year has passed, he never lost hope that she would come back.

And then one day, she appeared before him, with a pale expression and unable to speak.

She looks as if she saw a ghost. She was so frightened that her expression reminded Kagaya of the time when she was almost eaten by a demon.

If it weren't for the Rock Pillar, would Nao be alive?

'Kagaya-onii-sama, my first friend lied to me. Are you going to lie to me, too?'

Kagaya closed his eyes.

"I broke my promise. "

'..Because I settled for the Demon Slayer Corps over my sister.'

Even if it was for the lives of many innocent people, to abandon a family member is still unforgivable.

"Amane.. I made a mistake." His wife, a woman with snowy white hair and dark eyes placed a hand on his arm as if consoling him.

He did not feel better.