Half-truths

My stomach knotted. It was the feeling when you go to a concert and you're waiting and waiting for the band to come on, the band you've been waiting forever to see, and the arena is full and everyone is talking and the house lights are up. Then all of a sudden the arena goes dark and the crowd roars, and your heart drops, and you are so excited that you are crawling out of your skin you just can't stand it, and you have to scream. And you hope the show is going to be as good as you dreamed.

The walk to her table was like that but times a hundred, except I couldn't scream or seem like I was ridiculously out of my mind with nerves.

I held her gaze as I maneuvered through the crowd that was only getting drunker. She was smiling and I was thinking, okay that's a good sign. At least she likes how I look. Or she's just being polite. I was arguing with myself and trying not to walk too fast and seem too eager, but just couldn't help it.

The two guys and the other girl that were there earlier were gone leaving only the two girls when I finally made it to the table.

Her friend spoke first. "Hi, I'm Rachel," she stuck out her hand and wore a big smile. I nodded and smiled only looking at Rachel briefly before turning my attention back to Skylar. She held her hand out, looking small and petite.

"Hi, I'm Skylar," she spoke slowly. When she touched my hand, my body screamed.

"AJ," I said and realized I was barely speaking, and that when we first met I introduced myself as Albert since it sounds more professional than AJ. "Hi, um, I'm Albert."

"Is it Albert or AJ?" Rachel laughed, and glanced at Skylar as if she realized what a mistake it was inviting me over to the table.

"Most people call me AJ."

Skylar arched an eyebrow seductively and my body nearly exploded into spasms. It was hard not getting aroused just looking at her. I shifted my stance hoping she didn't notice. "Albert?" Skylar questioned. "We've met before." She pulled her brows together. Her voice was low and soft, a bit scratchy as if she'd been out late the night before.

I could play it two ways. I could completely pretend that I had no idea what she was talking about. But as quickly as I had that thought, I wondered if there was ever a possibility she could find out that I was at the fundraiser and then I would look like a complete asshole by not remembering her.

Or I could say that I did remember her from the fundraiser and that's why I kept looking at her. But that would only make me seem a little sleazy, I thought. I was staring at her, but didn't come up to talk to her? That wouldn't work either.

I decided to go half and half.

"You know," I started and swallowed hard. "I thought you looked familiar but now I know. The fundraiser at the Met in the fall."

Her eyes widened and she pointed to me, overexcited. "That's right! Wow, good memory."

I flushed. It was a good memory but considering I didn't stop technically looking for her, a fact I decided not to share, I needed to come up with something else.

"It's your name. I never met another Skylar before."

She grinned and waved her hand at the chair, which I took to mean that I should sit.

"Can I buy you a drink?" 

"Sure," she said.

"British?" Rachel asked. She was pretty, perky, and would get along with Nate perfectly.

"I am, yes," I said. I was smiling; I knew I was because my cheeks hurt. I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face. "I grew up about an hour outside of London and went to University there. In London. Not where I live. I went to University in London, actually outside of London," I babbled. I was starting to grow self-conscience from the way that Skylar staring at me. She seemed amused that I was barely holding it together. "Are you both from New York?"