40

Skylar's 40th birthday fell on a Friday. It was the only day of the week when I could get home before her if she had meetings. Rachel helped make sure that Skylar had something to do so I had time.

She made me swear no big parties, no big deal for her birthday. Skylar wouldn't even let Rachel do anything, except their normal spa day that they did every year. But Rachel convinced Skylar to join her for drinks after she got off work since I said I had a meeting.

I bought a small cake. I wasn't going to attempt to bake, but I was going to make dinner. Rachel said she'd get Skylar home by seven. The recipe was simple, baked chicken with baked potatoes and broccoli. Easy. I only burned myself once, and had to throw out one baked potato because I dropped it.

Rachel texted me and said that Skylar had just jumped in a cab.

I poured the wine, and hurried to wash up, splashing some cold water on my face. Taking her card and gift from my top drawer, I put them on the table next to her plate. I was feeling good.

In the middle of lowering the lights and lighting the candles on the dining room table, I heard the keys in the door. For some reason, I was nervous. I couldn't say why, but my heart was in my throat.

She walked in and stopped short, taking in the room and staring at me. I opened my arms wide.

"Happy birthday!"

Skylar's eyes widened and a small smile crept across her lips. She blinked a few times and her eyes looked glassy. I assumed it was from maybe having a couple of drinks. Shrugging off her coat, she turned her back and hung it on the rack.

"You shouldn't have," she said, and lessened the gap between us. I gathered her up in my arms.

"I had to do something. Besides, you're always so good to me on my birthdays."

Skylar chuckled and pulled away. Her eyes were teary. "That's because I like celebrating your birthday. Not mine."

"Oh, come on. You're...." I started but she covered my mouth with her hand.

"Not one word of my age!" She said with a crooked smile.

I nodded. "Okay," I said and kissed her forehead. "Come sit. Dinner is ready."

It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't the best. The chicken was too dry and the baked potatoes never seemed to cook all the way through. The broccoli was good, though. So was the wine. She was next to me on the couch, feeding me forkfuls of the small birthday cake.

The cake was excellent.

"Open your gifts," I said, finally pushing away her hand. I was stuffed and didn't want to be unable to move the rest of the night.

She read the card and kissed my cheek, setting it up on the living room table. Next was the larger box. She tore through the wrapping paper and pulled out a very see-through nighty.

"I thought this was my birthday?" She asked, looking through the sheer black lingerie at me.

"There's no reason we both can't benefit," I teased.

"Mmm," she said and leaned into me. "And how exactly do I benefit?"

"Well, if you wear that, my reaction will benefit you." I grinned.

She laughed and ruffled my hair. "So sure of yourself, huh?"

"Yes. Now here," I said, and pulled the box out of my pocket. "Open this."

I should have known, but I hadn't thought of it. Instead, I watched her reaction and as the seconds passed, feeling more like hours, seeing the flash in her eyes and the tug at the corner of her lips. Sheer panic, then surprise mixed with excitement as the candles lit around the room flickered in her eyes.