Yes, Art

The week after was hard to get through. I was worried that I moved too fast. And between working and studying, I barely had time to think, let alone see Skylar. Not that it mattered. We spoke a few times but it always seemed to be while we were on the run.

I wondered if there was any chance for us to even work out, considering how busy we were. Nate continued to tell me just to sleep with her because this is how it was in New York. Everyone is busy so take what you can get. He acted like I had just arrived and came from some small town in the middle of nowhere. I repeatedly reminded him that I was from London and life there, in my opinion, was on par with Manhattan social life.

He would just grunt and walk away.

But even though Skylar and I didn't get to have more than a five-minute conversation that week, without fail she always sent me a text telling me she was falling asleep, and good night.

I waited for those texts before I could fall asleep myself.

Friday night finally arrived and I tried to get out of work as soon as I could. The weather seemed to digress and it was once again cool. It felt good against my skin. The sidewalks were already crowded with folks heading out to eat and drink. Nate tried to convince me to go out with him again but I told him Skylar and I had another date.

Besides, I went out with him for a few beers the night before. I was tired and would have rather stayed home to have a couple of beers, but I went anyway and let him taunt me most of the night about Skylar. Finally, he started talking to some girls, so I just leaned against the bar and watched the hockey game on the television. And I actually understood what was going on.

She was out with Rachel and I wondered if she would meet a guy, even though we had texted a few times. I half-expected her to cancel but luckily around 5:30, she called to tell me to meet at her place. She was coming from a meeting and we could head to the restaurant together.

I was wearing my suit; I hadn't shaved so I had a faint shadow on my face. I might have looked a little too disheveled but I really didn't have time to worry about it. I practically jumped from the cab when it pulled up to her place, and clenching a small bouquet of white and red daisies. Nate said it was lame, but I wasn't embarrassed by my romantic tendencies.

I rang the buzzer and two-seconds later, the door clicked. I went up the stairs and knocked on 2B. Skylar opened the door and I thought, Nate was right and I am so far out of my fucking league. The last time I saw her, she was wearing all black, covered from her neck down, and still she looked amazing. But tonight she was wearing a snug black dress that came down to her knees that shimmered when she moved. Her arms were bare, revealing their tone and her tan.

And there was something I hadn't seen before: Skylar had her hair pulled back showing off her slender neck and was wearing makeup that made her stormy blue eyes stand out. It was all I could do not to stare, my mouth dropping open slightly.

"Albert," she breathed, reaching her hand towards me as she leaned up to kiss me.

"You look amazing," I muttered when she pulled away only slightly. I could smell her perfume, subtle and sexy. I held out my hand with the flowers and she smiled.

I shrugged off my coat, trying not to stare too much because my body was reacting to her in ways I didn't want her to see. Just seeing her was making it hard to think; I was becoming aroused. I squeezed my eyes shut tight and took a deep breath.

"Are you okay?" She asked, having no idea what was going on.

I coughed. "Not, not really. I'm really having a hard time controlling myself right now," I said through clenched teeth.