A Wedding

A wedding. In August. Not my choice. Not my wedding.

Robert's and Annabelle's, and I was beyond happy for them. They had become good friends, besides Robert becoming a great mentor.

Luckily, the wedding was under a tent to shield us from the blaring sun. And it was also up in Cape Cod, so the breeze off the water was welcoming. It was not a typical beach wedding, but instead at an old Victorian House—their house—with a huge wrap around porch and floating candles in their massive pool, with a seven string orchestra during the cocktail hour and a seven- piece band during the reception.

They made their vows at sunset, the ocean waves splashing against the sand setting the soundtrack. Annabelle blushed and Robert cried. I tightened my grip on Skylar's hand and she sighed, leaning against me.

It was a beautiful wedding, and it only made me think more of how I could see Skylar as my wife.

The wedding was no more than a hundred people and Annabelle considered it small, although I would be happy with only a few friends when Skylar and I married. There were white lights dangling around the small dance floor. We were dancing, like my grandfather had taught me to dance with Skylar; her head was against my chest and her arms securely around my waist.

Skylar was wearing a gold silky dress that hugged her curves and highlighted her tanned skin. She was wearing her hair long with big waves, with less makeup than she would normally wear at a wedding given her glowing skin, and she was absolutely stunning. She received more than a few looks from other men when she walked by.

"I can't wait to get you out of that dress, even as good as you look in it," I whispered in her ear.

She pulled back and looked up at me, the corners of her lips twitching. "Is this thing almost over?" She tugged at my tie to pull me closer, and I kissed her deeply and felt her body rise up against me. It probably wasn't the best idea, being that we were in the middle of the dance floor. I took a deep breath when I pulled away.

"I think we have a couple more hours." 

Skylar made a face and I laughed. "We could slip away?"

"Feeling a little frisky, hmm," I teased and she laughed, and refastened her arms around my waist.

"Seeing you all dressed up gets me all worked up," she purred.

"Well, maybe I'll walk around in a tie from now on."

"Sure, but only a tie."

I smiled and went to kiss her again but someone yelled my name. I turned and saw Robert and another gentleman waving me over.

"Oh, looks like man stuff. You go. I'll find Annabelle." Skylar winked and kissed my cheek before fluttering away. I had to watch her go. The extra swing in her hips had to be for my benefit, and it wasn't really fair.

I waved at Robert and regained my composure.

"Congratulations, mate," I said, extending my hand. He was puffing away on a cigar and sipping whisky. He deserved it.

"Thank you, thank you. Won't be too long before you and Skylar will be exchanging your vows," he said, shaking my hand quite enthusiastically. "Huh, huh?" He was laughing, and obviously quite happy.

"One day, if she'll have me," I said, trying to spot Skylar in the crowd. It wasn't hard, with the color of her dress. She waved at me and then turned her attention back to Annabelle.

"Albert, I wanted to introduce you to an old friend of mine," Robert said, patting the shoulder of the man next to him. He was slender with graying hair, and I could tell straight away that he was English. "This is Elliot Randolph. He is a professor at Cambridge in the archeology department."