Part III

"Is that your girlfriend?"

I forgot that Candace was still standing next to me. She was looking over my shoulder at one of Skylar's picture. I shook my head and glanced at Candace.

"Love of my life."

Candace finally got the hint and walked away.

I finished my pint, paid the bill, and made my way through the crowded bar. The city was alive and hummed with electricity. Looking at my watch, I had no idea where I should go. I could go to another bar but that might not be a good idea.

I started walking toward Central Park but soon I was heading toward the Met. My feet quickened. The idea of going back there excited me. The sidewalk was full of people again and although I contemplated a taxi or getting a car service, I knew it would take longer than actually walking to the Museum would take.

Taking the steps two at a time, I veered out of the path of the tourists and school children ending their tours. It seemed like most of the visitors now were locals; at least that was what it seemed.

I left a hefty donation in return for a ticket and felt my bones settle. My pace slowed and soon I was lost in thought about Skylar, but also about the fact that being in that museum reminded me that my path in life could have gone a completely different way.

If I never changed my mind, I never would have lost Skylar. I stopped in my tracks, as if I hit a wall. I was the only visitor in the room. An attendant was standing in the doorway not paying attention to me. I was glad. My face probably had lost all color.

Of course, I had a choice. I made a choice, thinking it was the right one and in most every aspect of my life, it was. But what did I have to give up? I gave up Skylar, New York City, my home.

I could have come back, sure. Obviously. 

But really by that point, another part of my life had started. Making that decision back then, I had no idea what would happen. Standing here now, alone, I was questioning every decision I had ever made.