Rum and Water

The boat docked and needless to say, I was glad to get off. I needed to walk around, by myself. The restaurant was packed. White lights were strung from the trestles, large wicker fans hung from the wood frames but stood still since heat lamps were needed in their place, and in the corner on a small stage was an eight piece band unaware of the chilliness and waves of air coming off the river. Sweat poured down their faces, along with those dancing to the Cuban music they were playing.

Everyone seemed to be having a great time. I hurried through the crowds, excusing myself in an unapologetic tone so I could get to the bar, grab a drink and find a place to be away from the crowds.

I knew Skylar was on my heels and I was purposely ignoring that fact and pretending that she wasn't there. She called after me but her voice was mostly drowned out by the sounds of the band. I didn't know exactly why I was angry, but I was. The fact that my family had money was never an issue with my friends, or something that I felt was a need to be discussed with others.

It wasn't as if I started conversations with, 'Hi my name is Albert James Young and my family has a lot of money'. It didn't define who I was and it wasn't like I used money as a selling point to get women to bed. I didn't even plan on using any of their money; I made plenty and had enough in savings to get by.

And the trust my parents had set up for me I hadn't even touched.

The music thrummed in my ears and vibrated on my skin. I reached the bar, and the bartender in his linen white shirt and slicked back black hair asked what I wanted.

"Whatever it is, make it strong," I murmured, pulled out a twenty and threw it on the bar. He smiled. "Rough night?" He smiled sincerely while mixing my drink.

"If it isn't now, it's going to be. Why don't you throw in an extra shot?"

He nodded and handed me some concoction that smelled of sweet rum and mint. And it was strong.

"I'll be back in a few for another," I glanced at his nametag, "Ricky." I slid the money toward him and told him to keep it.

"Next one's on me," he yelled after me. Someone caught my arm as I hurried away, spotting a cabana that was unoccupied.

"Albert, I've been searching everywhere for you."

My eyes barely dusted over her. I pulled my arm away from her and charged for the cabana before someone else took the spot. I collapsed on the chair swing, feeling my body crumble beneath me. I was halfway through my drink already and realized I probably should have had Ricky make me two. Luckily, I flagged down a waitress.

"Can you ask Ricky to make me another?" I asked her and held up my glass. "Do you want one?"

I finally acknowledge Skylar. She nodded but sat with her hands folded on her lap like a scolded schoolgirl.

I exhaled sharply and a little too fast; I hadn't realized that I was holding my breath. From her point of view, I'm sure I looked like an angry lunatic. She sat across from me and the wind was blowing her hair around her face. Her expression was full of worry, her eyes darting around the crowd, then to her hands, a ghost of a glance to me and then back to the crowd as if waiting for someone to tell her what to say next.

I refused to say anything until she spoke.

It was a long time before the waitress returned with our drinks, our silence making the small area we sat very uncomfortable. The waitress felt it, too. Her eyes were wide as she handed me my drink and I returned the favor with an empty glass. I gave her a ten and told her to come back with another round in ten minutes.

"Are you trying to get hammered tonight?" Skylar murmured.

I swung my head toward her and took a large gulp.

"Yes. And that's all you have to say?"

She sighed and took a sip of her own drink. Skylar winced immediately and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I'm sorry," she finally blurted out. "I don't know why I said that at dinner. I just...I don't think it was a big deal."

"If it's not a big deal, then why say something like that," I snapped and leaned back. The chair swung beneath me and made me feel a little more lightheaded. Between the rum and being seasick, the night was heading in a bad direction.

Skylar opened her mouth to speak, clamped it shut, and sipped her drink. She twisted her lips and her eyes welled up. Maybe from the wind, maybe from the rum, or maybe because I was blowing things way out of proportion.

I recognized that, but I was still pissed.

"This isn't how I pictured our anniversary to be," she said quietly. I could barely hear her as the band had started a new song.

Shaking my head, I relented and held out my hand. I didn't like seeing her upset and I knew what she said wasn't intentional. Skylar stood and grabbed my hand, as if I might pull it away and nestled next to me. I squeezed her close to me, her lips pressed against my neck and her warm breath prickling my skin.

"I'm really sorry," she said again.

I squeezed her shoulder for reassurance. "It's just that I don't need people knowing my business no matter how close you are to them. You said it like it was a punch line."

She nodded and I kissed her forehead.

The waitress came back with another round and I told her to wait a little longer for the next.

"Do you want to ditch the boat on the way back and stay here?" I asked.

Skylar sat up and ran her hands through my hair. Her fingers traced my jawline and then ran across my lips. She nodded with a smile.

"You think we'll have a better time here just the two of us?" she asked, and kissed me so softly I barely felt her lips. Or it could be that my lips were numb from the rum.

"Well, I'm sure we could but if I have any more of these," I said holding up the glass, "I might fall over."