Bloody Holiday

"Why do people feel the need to share their opinions about our relationship?"

Skylar was undressing. I kicked off my shoes and pulled at my tie.

"People are stupid," she commented, emerging from my bedroom wearing only one of my t-shirts, her hair now cascading down her shoulders in waves. "There's an obvious age difference between us -- so what? Sometimes people just can't understand it and are compelled to question it. It makes people uncomfortable."

She crawled onto my lap, positioning her legs on either side of my hips. I ran my hands up her thighs and rested my head back against the couch.

"I don't think it's an obvious age difference," I mumbled tugging at her shirt. "I don't comment on other people's girlfriends."

"Well, you have manners." "What was he saying to you?"

Skylar tilted her head in question.

"David. What was he saying before I came over? You looked uncomfortable."

Skylar shrugged and slid off my lap, even though I grabbed her hand and tried to keep her close to me. "I don't remember." She strolled over to the fridge and grabbed two beers but I shook my head when she went to give it to me and instead put it on the table.

"Yes, you do," I pushed. "I can tell. He said something to you."

She balled herself up in the corner of the sofa. I leaned toward her, my chin resting on her knees.

"It doesn't matter, Albert," she said. She was avoiding my gaze.

"Sky, I want to know," I sat up. I was growing agitated. Skylar felt the need to protect me, to protect everyone she cared about. "It matters. I don't want some guy hitting on my girlfriend." I don't know why I needed to know, but I had to. That was all that mattered at the moment.

She shook her head. "That guy is a partner at your firm and could have you fired tomorrow if he wanted, so really," she spat, "it doesn't matter what he said."

"What the fuck, Sky?" I yelled. I stood up, running my hands through my hair. I felt her eyes on my back as I crossed the room and into the bedroom. I changed quickly, trying not to be pissed off but I couldn't help it. She hadn't moved from the couch.

I leaned against the doorframe. "Tell me, please."

"Do you see how angry you are right now, and I haven't even said anything?" She said, stretching out her legs. She was trying to distract me. "Well, you'll only be angrier if I tell you what they said," she squeezed her eyes shut. "He said."

My body tensed. "They? What the fuck? Who else said something to you?" I marched over to her before she could get off the couch and put my arms around her and trapped her body against my chest.

"I don't want to argue..."

"This isn't an argument," I said. I took a deep breath and lowered my voice. "I just want to know what was said to you."

Skylar shook her head.

"Sky, I love you and I don't want anyone, even if it is my boss saying something to make you uncomfortable," I said. I was trying to meet her gaze and finally she looked at me. The harshness in her stare softened and she relaxed her body underneath mine. She sighed deeply.

"David," she said with disdain, "said that when I was ready to get fucked by a real man, to call him."

I stared at her in shock. She blinked, embarrassed.

"Who else said something?" I said through clenched teeth.

"I don't know his name," she said quietly, sympathetically putting her hand on my arm. "Skylar?"