Part II

The bar started to fill up and I glanced at my watch. I had been walking around the city for an hour or so and finally stopped for a pint. There was still time, one more pint and something to eat wouldn't hurt, so I ordered from the bartender and kept my eyes glued to the TV. A bunch of girls crowded next to me. I tried to ignore them as I ate but it was difficult considering one of them kept backing up into me. She'd turn, smile, place her hand on my arm and say she was sorry.

Each time she touched my arm and I'd look up, I half expected to see Skylar. But then my vision would clear and it was the girl. She must have done that about four times before she finally just turned around completely. I pushed my plate away and ordered another pint.

"Hi," she said.

I knew she was talking to me but I hesitated before acknowledging. I wasn't playing a game; I really just didn't want to talk with anyone so I nodded and smiled.

"I'm Candace."

She was cute, maybe late twenties. Not my type.

"AJ," I responded.

Her eyes widened. "You're British."

Obviously. I smiled. "Yes, I'm here on business. I live in London" A lie. I was engaging into a conversation that I didn't want to have so I figured I might as well give her as much information straight away so I wasn't stuck answering her questions.

"Oh, I love London." Then Candace went into a long story about how she studied away in London and wanted to live there but after college she met a guy so she stayed in Miami, where she's from although I didn't ask, and now she regrets never leaving because she always wanted to live abroad.

I took a breath, on her behalf, because she continued talking without pausing.

"So, what kind of business are you in?"

I hadn't realized she asked a question so I fumbled over my words. "Oh, I work at the National Gallery."

Then Candace continued to talk about how much she loved art and I tuned out completely. I was happy when my phone vibrated from a text message and I had to excuse myself to respond. Instead of getting the hint, she just stared at me.

How was your flight?

I smiled.

Bumpy but okay.

What should I ask next? Can we meet earlier?

I waited watching the typing dots at the top of my phone. Finally, her text appeared. Can't get away before 6.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Me, too.

Then she added. I'm glad you're here.

I definitely didn't know how to respond. I typed Me too. and hit send.

I finished my beer and let Candace babble on and ask questions. My responses were all one-word answers. While she was chatting, I was playing with my phone and started flipping through the pictures. I wasn't planning on actually looking for the pictures but I guess since she was on my mind, I wanted to see her right then.

The picture was of just Skylar and she didn't know I was taking the picture. She was on her couch reading a manuscript and I was in the kitchen making dinner. Whatever she was reading made her smile, and I couldn't resist capturing the moment.

She was beautiful.