Ice floes (Young brothers)

Angus and Malcolm Young spent their winter holidays with their grandparents in Glasgow. Malcolm was 15 years old and Angus was 13.

"Where are you going?" Asked Grandma Veronika as the two boys got dressed. It was snowing outside and it was pretty cold.

"We're going out." Said Angus.

"OK. But watch out." She warned. The two nodded and started walking. They ran into the snowy forest behind the little house. Angus pulled his winter coat tightly around himself.

"Are you cold?" Malcolm asked, looking at his brother.

"Well, it's not necessarily warm." Angus muttered.

"Yes, that's right." The older one nodded. They trudged through the deep snow.

"Where do we actually want to go?"

"I do not know. Just get out a little. It's lame at home." Angus muttered.

"Right." Malcolm nodded. They went through the forest. "Look. A kingfisher." Malcolm said enthusiastically, pointing to a small bird perched on a branch. Angus looked too.

"Oh. That's cute." Angus purred. Malcolm giggled. "Can I have one like that?"

"No." Malcolm chuckled. "You can't take the bird with you, Ang."

"This is my favorite bird now." Said the smaller one. "They don't exist in Australia." He pouted.

"No. But we have kangaroos in Australia." Malcolm said. They went further.

"I'm cold." Angus muttered.

"Come here." Malcolm opened his coat and let his brother crawl under it. Angus hummed with satisfaction. They pressed their warm bodies together and slowly walked on. Angus looked up at his brother. Malcolm's cheeks were red.

"My nose is cold." Mumbled the 13 year old. Malcolm stopped, took the scarf from his brother and wrapped it around Angus' neck again. Then he pulled it up so that it covered Angus' nose.

"Better?" Angus nodded, took Malcolm's hand, and pushed himself back under his brother's coat. They trudged on and watched animals. At some point, the younger one was warm again and he withdrew.

"Bet I'm faster than you?!" Angus teased.

"Never ever!" Laughed Malcolm. They started running. Malcolm stumbled through the snow and fell on the ground. Angus giggled and kept running.

"I'm faster than you!" Malcolm got to his feet and they ran on. Towards a small lake.

"Angus!" Shouted Malcolm as he saw his brother run towards the ice. But Angus was already sliding across the lake, laughing. When he stopped there was a loud crack. "Stand still!" Malcolm screamed. Angus turned and looked at him fearfully. "Don't move, Angus!" Malcolm stepped onto the ice and walked slowly towards his brother. There was another crack.

"Malcolm." Angus wailed and held out his hands to his brother.

"Stand still! I'll get you!" Malcolm slowly crept on. Angus took a step towards Malcolm and the ice collapsed. With a shriek, Angus disappeared under the ice. "Angus!" Yelled Malcolm. He ran towards the hole, tossed his hat, scarf and coat on the floor before slowly sitting down in the hole. The water was ice cold. He looked into the dark depths and could see something floating. So he took a deep breath and went underground. He opened his eyes and looked around. The cold ate into his skin. He went underground and began to swim deeper. It was so dark that he saw almost nothing, but something brushed his hand. He grabbed it and reappeared. He was lucky and got Angus. He heaved his little brother out of the ice and placed him on the ice sheet. Angus wasn't breathing. Malcolm crawled out of the hole and knelt beside Angus, trembling. "Come on! You're not going to die of me!" Malcolm yelled, doing chest compressions. Then he blew air into Angus' nose. "Wake up!" He continued until Angus started coughing. Water. Malcolm helped him sit up. "Crap. Oh God. I thought you were going to die." Malcolm whimpered. Angus smiled weakly. "We have to go back, Ang."

"D ... you're wet." Angus muttered.

"Yes. I fished you out of the water." Malcolm laughed and brushed the wet strands of hair back from his face.

"I'm cold." Angus wailed.

"That is clear. Take that off." The older boy took off Angus' wet coat. Then Malcolm picked up the coat he had taken off earlier and put it on his brother. Angus wrapped himself in the warm fur, whimpering. Malcolm took off his hat and scarf and replaced them with his own. Then he took Angus' wet clothes. "We have to go back!" Malcolm called, helping his brother up. Angus was shivering from the cold. Malcolm took Angus' hand and they trudged back. They were both wet and that made them feel even colder.

"Your lips are blue." Angus whispered.

"I'm fine." Malcolm's teeth rattled badly as he rubbed his upper arms.

"Mal! You're soaking wet and you only have a tank top!" Angus shouted and wanted to give Malcolm's coat back.

"Keep that on!" Malcolm yelled angrily. "Leave my things on! We'll be home soon!" Angus shrank a little from Malcolm. They stumbled on. Malcolm's muscles were slowly becoming paralyzed. He kept stumbling. Angus was cold too, but Malcolm's clothes warmed him up a little.

"Come on, Mal! Get up! We'll be there in a minute!" Malcolm collapsed. Angus grabbed his hand and pulled him on. "Come on! Not far anymore! We're almost there! Then you can rest!" Angus pulled Malcolm on. It was -20 ° C and both were wet. Malcolm was also covered in snow because he had fallen. Angus dragged him to the house and then shakily unlocked it. "Granny!? Grandpa!?" But there was no answer. There was a note on the door:

We are shopping. Not coming back for two hours.

Angus cursed. He pulled Malcolm to the bathroom. Both were trembling badly. Malcolm was almost stiff with the cold. Angus ran the bathtub and then began to undress. Then he started taking off Malcolm's clothes. He poured some foam into the bathtub and then pulled Malcolm into the water with him. It wasn't actually that hot, but since they were both cold, it felt so to them. Angus hissed and carefully put his feet in the water. When he was used to it, he sat down. He pulled Malcolm close. Both lay down in the tub. Malcolm leaned against Angus' chest.

"Come on. Thaw up, Mal. All is well. We're home." Angus picked up the water and poured it over Malcolm's chest. The older one still had goosebumps and was trembling. He leaned against Angus, whimpering. "Sh. All good. Warm yourself up." He held his brother close. "Damn it! Why did you give me your clothes!? You were in the water too!" Angus exclaimed in frustration. Malcolm shakily played with the foam in the bathtub.

"M ... had to protect you." He muttered. Angus smiled a little and kissed the top of the head. Usually, Malcolm was always the one taking care of Angus. Not the other way around. Angus rubbed Malcolm's upper arms to warm him up. Malcolm whimpered softly and was still shivering from the cold.

"Sh. All is well. I'm here." Angus hummed. When they warmed up, they washed and then went to the room they shared with their grandparents. Angus made tea and then crawled into bed next to Malcolm. Malcolm was still trembling badly. Angus pulled the thick blanket over both of them and snuggled up against his brother. "Shit." Angus muttered. "The walk wasn't quite what we imagined it would be." Malcolm mumbled something and closed his eyes. "You got in the water yourself, went under and took me out, didn't you?" Angus asked worriedly, playing with Malcolm's slightly damp hair. Malcolm nodded lazily. "Oh, Mal."

"I thought you died." Malcolm whispered. Tears ran down his cheeks. "I ... I thought I was ... too late." He whimpered.

"You weren't. You saved me, Mal." Angus said, kissing Malcolm's cheek gently. Malcolm giggled a little.

"I love you, Ang." He muttered.

"Love you too, Brother."

THE END;