The guitar (Young brothers)

Angus, 13, and Malcolm, 15, Young went through a music store and looked at guitars.

"Did you see that?" Angus asked excitedly, leading his older brother to an expensive guitar. A Gibson SG Standard. It was cherry red.

"It looks really good, Ang." Malcolm said, taking a closer look.

"But it's really expensive." Angus pouted. "We don't have that much money."

*

It was Angus' birthday in four months and Malcolm already knew exactly what he was going to buy him. He got a job at a car wash, collected rose hips and other stuff to sell to pharmacies, got a job in a florist, poured out drinks at a bar that night, and sold sweets at school. He also sold his old things that he no longer needed. He collected all of the money (along with his pocket money, the money he got for his birthday and the rest of his savings) in an old shoe that was under his bed.

*

Tired and dejected, Malcolm Young went from washing the car to the bar at six pm.

"You're too late. Sometimes I really wonder if you take this job seriously." The owner scolded.

"Yes! Of course I take it seriously!" Malcolm shouted and got to work. After four hours, he went home.

"You look tired." Said Margarete as he sat down at the kitchen table and had dinner with his family.

"How much did you make?" Asked William.

"$ 5." Malcolm said and quickly scooped the soup into his mouth.

"Don't eat so fast. There is enough there." Said Margarete. Malcolm ignored her and quickly stuffed it in. When he was done, he put his bowl in the sink and said:

"Good night!" Then he ran into his room. Once at the top, he closed the door and began making bouquets for the florist. At three o'clock at night, he was so tired that he kept catching himself falling asleep.

"Stay awake, Mal. Stay awake." He admonished himself.

*

"Hey! Want some candy?" Malcolm asked when he was in school selling. The girl nodded and bought a few.

"Why are you doing that anyway?" Asked Angus, who was now standing next to him.

"You have to make money somehow."

"Yes, but what if you don't spend it?"

"I'm saving up for something very special."

*

He had a week left and was still $ 50 short.

*

Every day when he went to school with his brother he stared at the red guitar in the shop window. In the evening he came home totally tired and went on anyway. I have to do this! I have to do this! He kept thinking. He fell asleep while sorting the rose hips in the pharmacy.

"Hey! Boy! You really should be sleeping. You look tired." Said the old woman who ran the pharmacy.

"I can't. I have to go on. I'm running out of time." He muttered and carried on lazily.

"What do you lack time for, Malcolm? For what?"

"I only have one day left and I'm $ 20 short." He muttered to himself.

"What is the $ 20 missing for?"

"I'm saving for something."

"But then you can save as long as you want."